• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

12 volts from a 24 volt system

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
coastalconstruction said:
whats the best way to get 12 volts from a 24 volt system ? can you tap 1 battery?
Yes, but you should ideally recharge both batteries to the same condition after each use, like in when you get back home.

How much power (=current drain) is needed?

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: 12 volts from a 24 volt system

Bjorn is right: You can't rely on a 24V alternator to fully re-charge the battery that is being "tapped", since the current is split between the batteries. The one being tapped needs more than the other, so it will be undercharged, while the other will be overcharged. This is why the CUCV's have two 12V alternators (one for each battery - except the M1010 system, which is an entirely different story).

Michael

RE: Re: 12 volts from a 24 volt system

The best way is to get a solid state 24v to 12v converter. For small loads like a cell phone charger just tap the center post of the batteries.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: 12 volts from a 24 volt system

OPCOM said:
Here's what I did using a battery equalizer and it works perfectly...
Patrick, let's say that you are using the lower battery extensively, (current exceeding the equalizer capacity) and then shut down the engine/charging system, do you not risk ending up with two poorly charged batteries for the next time the engine is started, or am I missing something?

I like POL (point of load) type regulators to keep from adding a 12-volt circuit to the already existing wiring. For example, the CB in my deuce has its own little 24 to 12 volt regulator in a box, tapping the nearest available 24 vdc circuit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks