• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spotted these yesterday...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Spotted these yesterday...

Very few of those have been surplussed out, and those that have were in crappy condition. (some would argue that they were in crappy condition when they were made) Were these military guys getting trees?

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FMTV what a piece of crap.
I meet a guy that was on the team that designed & built my LMTV for GM & BMY. It was his feeling that S&S probably offered "somebody" in the DOD more than their mediocre LMTV prototype to get the contract. I don't think that he was saying that because he was a sore looser.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They look too much like a Euro thing...not baggin' on the Pinz and Mog stuff, just don't think it looks like a HD truck. Not my cup of Jack. But it still would be cool to have :roll:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maint. military folks I know tell me they ain't all that...they'll take a deuce or an 800 series any day...hands down. That's just what they tell me.

Lars

WE traded all our MTVs for 900s in Afghanistan and kept the trailers too. but the MTV is POS to work on and evry upgrade has brought more Mech headaches for me.

My guess on the tree thing is a charitable distribution, community support thing. Or maybe the Family Support Group is going to sell them to raise funds for Family needs.

I would like to see a documented side by side test of the M809 series, M939 series and FMTV series 5 tons. Not just at Aberdeen, but real soldiers on real terrain playing follow the leader.

unimoger

Tne FMTV series of trucks is a German design. MAN truck is the designer, only Americanized for U.S. production by Stewart&Stevenson. England want to a MAN design also. They are excellant and most capable trucks. Everything new has had its teething problems at first. WR.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
LMTV's are a POS.

They might be buying the trees to give soldiers that dont have much. Last Thanksgiving I spent the day riding around in a LMTV with my driver to about 150 E-4 and below houses to give them turkey's. I didnt cost them a thing , MWR paid the bill.

unimoger said:
Tne FMTV series of trucks is a German design. MAN truck is the designer, only Americanized for U.S. production by Stewart&Stevenson. England want to a MAN design also. They are excellant and most capable trucks. Everything new has had its teething problems at first. WR.
Teething problems after 10 yrs? These things need a root canal. The only good things about the LMTV are that is hauls
A$% when needed and the run flat system. Other than that, maintenence is a nightmare unless you actually have it in a shop and the center of gravity is way to high, etc. etc. etc.

jpinst

You know the M35A3 has the same engine and tranny....

in theory I guess, you could buy a Steyr and swap the engine and tranny with that of an m35a3 (love mine in fact) and you'd have an LMTV. Presto.

halftrack

jpinst said:
You know the M35A3 has the same engine and tranny....

in theory I guess, you could buy a Steyr and swap the engine and tranny with that of an m35a3 (love mine in fact) and you'd have an LMTV. Presto.
I'm not too sure about that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks