• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whats Biggest guy to fit the drivers seat of a Mighty-Mite?

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking at Mighty Mites now.
So I was wondering what the biggest guy you have seen driving a M442A1.
I understand that the 6.5 extra inches is in the bed section.
And the wheel wells are the limiting factor on how far the seat can go back.

Like when I tried to climb into a Toyota MR2 Spyder in 2001.
I couldn't even get my leg onto the other side of the steering wheel because of a reinforcing brace behind the seats. (No pix)

I am 6'8", with a 38" inseam.
Any of you tall folks ever sit or drive a Mite?
Or are they a might to small?

Thanx.
Tony

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Whats Biggest guy to fit the drivers seat of a Mighty-Mi

haha good point. I sat in a jeep once. Would need to put a little lowrider steering wheel in to clear the gut.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Whats Biggest guy to fit the drivers seat of a Mighty-Mi

I know a guy that is around 6'5" and it's a squeeze for hiom to get in it. Then it looks a little cramped for him.

Mike_Pop

I'm 6'-2" and I fit in my Mite just fine. It's tricky getting in and out, you have to slide into the seat. My knees are up pretty high but it's not an uncomfortable position.

Attachments

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It just dawned on me, looking at the posted pictures, that the Mighty Mite doesn't have doors. The problem I always run into is, because my legs are so long, they have to fit between the steering wheel and the hard door.
No door, so it is a new possibility for me.

Thanx for posting the pix.
Tony

Mike_Pop

Tony,

I have a 36" inseam and I fit well in my Mite. However, I have found that the steering wheel is kind of low when you try to get in and out. Thus, the need to "slide" in. Also, I am sure you have big feet. I wear a size 13. I usually wear lineman's work boots that have double the sole thickness of a standard boot. There is plenty of room for my feet. I have never hit two pedals at once.

Mike_Pop

Andy,

I am not sure of the off road capabilities yet. I have a flat spot in my carb so I am just driving it around town. Town is only six blocks long. I'm not too crazy about how little the front wheels turn. They turn about the same as a Jeep. I guess I am used to my Unimog which had a much sharper turn.

saddamsnightmare

January 13th, 2008.

Come on Guys!! That dude on the trailer is in a M422! Except for height, the M422/M422A1 series is like what, 8 or 9' long? They make an MG Midget look long!! The weight run about 100 lbs less tare then the MG Midget too!!
I had one back in the 1980's, which MArk Miller has down in Philadelphia now, and it would go anywhere a jeep would, and many places a jeep wouldn't, and almost anywhere a Unimog would go (EXCEPT for the 2' boulders), they're very agile and hold the road like a sports car in corners. What they won't do, is go fast, or very far (see the comments on the oil cooler location in Mr. Pop's original "I took the Mite out today" note, and now and then they can be temperamental beasts. Having said that, they're easy on fuel in the 20/25 MPH range, and if you don't have to ride the back sats, they ride fairly well due to the independent suspension.
HOWEVER: I was 6'2 and 160 lbs when I owned the Mighty Mite, and I don't think that a 6'5" linebacker would take to driving one of these critters. My S404.114 Unimog has little more room between the seat and the wheel, and my M35A2 wouldn't be a comfortable brive for the average linebacker either. Up to and through WWII, the average GI was about 5'8"-5'9" and in the 135 to 150 lb range, so most of these vehicles driver geometry/ergonomitries are predicated upon that. Remember there were only 1000
XL PASGT helmets made, only to fit one swell headed general with a KPot, so the averages will rule. Model T Fords were predicated n the 5'8" dimensions also, and they can be tight for us larger guys. If yo want a Porsche, get a Mite, if you want a Cadillac, get an M35A2 or a 5 ton. Again, just my 2 cent's worth based on having owned one of those for about 8 years.

Regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Mercedes Benz S404.114 Unimog (Swiss)
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran Deuce.

beaubeau

Anyone try to put 10lbs of Crap in a 5lb bag!??I am 6'4", was 6'5" in 1968 when I was in V.N.,"MARINE CORPS kept 1in. when I was dischared!! I remember driving a Mite then and it was tight!! I guess thats why I have been into trucks since! I hate rideing in the" Queens" Town Car because it's too Quiet and Small!Then a Deuce doesn't have that much room!!Happy Days! Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks