• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slat Grill Info Needed

TedG

My brother and I found the remnants of a slat grill. Unfortunately the plates are gone but we have found the following:

Body number 23199

The rear axle has "23" on the lower right, 10378 (the 3 could also be an
8) upper right, US PAT 888618 upper left, and US PAT 2018188 lower left.
On left side is 16977 "cmc".

The front axle has US PAT 196861 upper right side, FRONT AXLE upper left, 17038 lower left (with "W" emblem above it), and 16977 "cmc" on cover.

Engine/tranny/tcase is civi. Axels, frame and steering gear is military. Has gun plate on frame.

Any info would be appreciated. PM me if you wish.

Regards,

Attachments

TedG

I tried but it seems they have critical server errors more times than not when I go there...They need an SS server!!!!

Regards,

emr

Looks like a wrecked CJ2A to me with a poorly done home made grille, set up ..havn't seen a slat grille that doesnt go all the way accross, and the tubs of slate grilles have more open sides where U would swing your legs in,looks like repro old phillipino fenders too,and the gas filler neck isnt mil either, repro tub,fenders ,home made grille . sorry,my 2 cents. Randy

emr

real common for the tub and hood piano type hinge not to match up at all on those old repro tubs, so they screwed in there own home mode jobbers, Randy

TedG

Thanks for the help and several g503 guys have ID'd this little bugger as a slat grill remnant. More pictures to be post soon.

Regards,

pa.rich

I dont know, but the features it has such as the one piece windshield were on the CJ3B which was in the early 50's. The grille looks home made. The body with tailgate was Cj2A or CJ3B . The CJ had a split windshield, with the same frame if I remember right.But after this many years anything could have been done. I had a CJthat was so rusted out from the dash back that I came across a front end wrecked Cj5 that I cut in half and welded it together to make one rustfree jeep. A CJ2font and Cj5 back with a homemade full cab. Dont laugh guys, I was just 16. I saved the vehicle , but what an abortion it was.It was just for trailriding and plowing fun so I was on a low budget, saving for a house. The house I got 5 years later.Gotta keep priorities straight.

TedG

More info...

Here are some more pics. The engine/transmission are not slat grille - here are the markings on the engine block, passenger side:
641087-W-13-D-PS CJ-CB. The head is marked JEEP in the center and FIRING ORDER 1342/TAPPET CLEARANCE ENGINE COLD/INTAKE 014 EXHAUST 014.

The generator on the engine doesn't have a tag, it has several numbers stamped on the body - 9413 running lengthwise, with a sideways U, 46 above and slightly to the right, then these mismatched numbers running across 12570. Go figure.

The rusty generator included with the slat grille doesn't have a tag, it has a Y stamped on the body, and GJC 2-0 on the engine mount, and on the belt-side mounts has GGW 3 on one side and a "ff" like stamp and the number 0 on the other.

The unpainted 6V generator on the wash stand has "O-LITE",
GDZ-4817(model)-A-7CD36927(serial) 35 (amp)

This will be up sale as shown with what ever parts are with it as one lot. Location is near San Jose CA. PM/email me for more info.

Regards

Attachments

TedG

Thanks pa.rich, seems one forgets the detail stuff at times when working and goofing off at the same time...

Does not run, have not tried to turn engine over, does not have title. Price is to be determined by my brother when he gets back from travels.

Regards,

Added: Engine wants to turn over by hand so marvel oil was put in cylinders for soaking.

emr

Pretty neat find, the grille sure could be worked , and are u saying the frame is correct with the grille? seems common to me, the grilles don't rust out, probably the only things left, what a missmosh, im sure somebody will want it, everybody needs some part or another, im sure its been fun hearing all the ideas,im an M series guy, hope u didn't mind the 2 cents. randy

TedG

Hi Randy,

I like the comments from others for I know a lot about some mv's and not a heck of a lot on others. So the more opinions, the better. The tub tag, according to others, is an early MB dating around the early 1942 time table. The price just set by my brother is $1000 with all parts shown in pictures. We hope it can go to someone who needs it...

Regards,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks