• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

INFO needed on this truck

GrimTrucker

I have a Jeep i need help getting info on this is the info and pic of it .Any help on this would help .
vin# J6MXN097264 Date of Delivery June ,1976
Make: Jeep
Model: 4600
Vehicle weight unloaded: 4036
payload max: 3964
gross weight: 8000

Transmission : Warner T-18
Transfer Case : Dana 20
Front Axle : Dana 44
Rear Axle : Dana 60 FF

Body Manufactured By:
Mark Body Division-Detroit
Date of MFG: 03-77 Model NO.: 4X4 AMB.
Serial No. 77-25045
Engine: AMC 360

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Former fire truck(burned)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why is this in the tips and tricks forum?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks a lot like a M725, but not. I didn't realize Jeep made this style of ambulance body up through the late 1970s!

bugs

its definatly a 715 or 725 the rear is after market(box) you can see the body molding and the moulding on the rear wheel housing. also be willing to bet the upper cowl is fabricated. had a 725 for many year........lived and loved it until i was offered... if you can believe it to trade for a near perfect duece. now that my new love.

67Beast

Civi J20 model with a medical box on the rear. The government purchased quite a few of these for use as ambulances in stateside base. The Navy and Air Force I believe recieved the majority of them. It is most definately not a M725.

Sarge

I second 67Beast's reply. It is a civvy J20 wagoneer or gladiator (bad memory). It is NOT an M725 or even an M-anything.
It could possibly have been bought and used by the military, but that does not automatically give it an M-series number.
David Doyle is the master of vehicle recognition. If he chimes in on this one, you can take his reply to the bank. Even if he contradicts me! hee-hee.
-Sarge

Elwenil

The above is correct. It is a civilian model that may or may not have been used by the military. Not an Mseries of any sort. The fenders, cab, windshield, doors, axles and lights prove it's civilian origins. The body is very similar to that of the M880 series ambulances but also the civilian Dodge ambulances of the same era. My best guess is that it began life as a civilian cab and chassis that was built as an ambulance for one of the stateside military bases as said above and later released from the DMRO to a local fire dept and then caught in a brush fire while being used as an equipment truck.

dc3coyote

That looks like my uncles civi jeepster with an ambulance pckg. If I talk to him I can get you the info since he bought it new in the mid 70's

tamangel

Am-725

saw this on eBay a while back and grabed pics for my files..

here's the narrative and some pics...If you want pic's (23 more) more email me and I'll send them directly..

Mike

SUBMITTED FOR AUCTION
ONE ONLY
RARE
1978 JEEP J-20
(3/4 TON)
4 WHEEL DRIVE
AMBULANCE
SUPER LOW ORIGINAL MILES
14,900 CONFIRMED ORIGINAL MILES!!
LESS THAN 100 BELIEVED PRODUCED

THIS IS A SUPER RARE 1978 JEEP J-20. FROM THE SUPER DRY CLIMATE IN ARIZONA. IT IS AN EX UNITED STATES AIR FORCE VEHICLE. CONDITION IS VERY GOOD FOR A TRUCK APROACHING THIRTY YEARS IN AGE. VERY LITTLE RUST, MINOR DINGS, YUP I DO MEAN MINOR.
HAVING CHECKED EVERY AVAILABLE WEB SITE OUT THERE I'VE ONLY BEEN ABLE TO FIND JUST FOUR OTHERS.
FROM WHAT I'VE BEEN ABLE TO GATHER THE MILITARY DESIGNATION IS AN AM-725 OR AM 715. THE WAY I UNDERSTAND THE LOW PRODUCTION NUMBERS IS JEEP WAS UNDER BID BY DODGE FOR THE CONTRACT. OR, EACH MANUFACTURE WAS TO BUILD AND DELIVER X AMOUNT OF TRUCKS FOR A COMPETITION TO SEE WICH WAS THE BEST RIG. OR, THEY WHERE BUILT FOR EXPORT.
SIMPLY PUT I'VE BEEN UNABLE TO FIND MUCH INFO ON IT.
WHAT I DO KNOW IS THIS IS REALLY A SUPER NICE RIG THAT GETS DOUBLE, TRIPPLE AND QUADRUPLE TAKES EVERY TIME I RUN IT DOWN THE ROAD!
PEOPLE FLAT STARE AT IT! I'VE GOTTEN ALL KINDS OF SMILES, GRINS AND THUMBS UPS!
HAD A KID IN A WRANGLER WANT TO RACE ME A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO, HAD TO SAY NO.... GOLD FISH ON THE FRONT SEAT YA' KNOW (WINK, WINK)
IWENT TO THE LOCAL SIT AND CHEW IN IT, THE OWNER HAD TO COME OUT AND LOOK IT OVER. SOME DUDE NEARLY TRIPPED OVER HIS OWN FEET WHILE WE WERE LOOKING AT IT .
O K ENOUGH BACK PATTING!
LET ME GET DOWN TO WHATS RIGHT WITH IT!
-1. 360 ENGINE WITH MOTORCRAFT TWO BARREL CARBURATOR
-1. FOUR SPEED TRANSMISSION WITH GO GRANNY GO FOUR SPEED MANUAL
-1. POWER TAKE OFF UNIT
-1. HEAVY DUTY BUMPER AND BRUSH GUARD
-1. HEAVY DUTY WINCH
-1. LARGE DOUBLE DOOR BOX FOR BED
-1. DUAL HEATI AND AIR IN FRONT AND REAR
-1. FLOOD LIGHTS ON EACH SIDE
-1. SPOT LIGHTS IN FRONT AND REAR
-1. SIREN
-1. WALK FROM CAB TO BOX
-1. YELLOW WARNING LIGHTS
-1. TWO BENCHES OR BEDS IN BOX
WHATS BEEN DONE TO IT:
-1. NEW STARTER
-1. NEW SPARK WIRES (REPLACED THE ORIGINAL AMC WIRES)
-1. NEW PLUGS
-1. NEW CAP & ROTOR
-1. NEW NAPA BATTERY
-1. NEW BATTERY CABLES POS & NEG
-1. FIRES RIGHT UP
WHAT IT NEEDS:
-1. CHANGE OUT FLUIDS
-1. TYPICAL TINKERING
-1. TIRES
-1. CARB & TIMING ADJUSTMENT (CAN'T FIND MY TIMING LIGHT!)
THE BRAKES, CLUTCH, STEERING AND HANDELING ARE ALL FINE. IT HAS A BETTER TURNING RADIUS THAN MY DODGE 1500! FOUR WHEEL DRIVE SEEMS TO WORK FINE. IT PULLS LIKE A PIT BULL ON STEROIDS!
REASON FOR SALE:
-1. DONT TRUST A WORKMANS COMP DOCTOR!
-1. (SOME BODYS GOT TO BE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE CLASS!)
-1. NEED TO SELL IT TO PAY BILLS
-1. CAN'T KEEP IT AND RESTORE IT
-1. LAYWERS NOT HELPING MUCH
SIMPLY PUT THIS IS A SUPER TRUCK THAT IS RARE AND WELL WORTH OWNING! CONVERT IT TO A ROUGH COUNTRY CAMPER, USE IT TO TRANSPORT THE WORK CREW OFF ROAD. MILITARY PARADES, HUNTERS TAKE NOTE THIS IS A SUPER OFF ROAD TRUCK THAT CAN HAUL UP TO 10 FOLKS!

On Feb-20-07 at 08:28:50 PST, seller added the following information:

THE ORIGINAL COLOR OF THE TRUCK WAS AIRFORCE BLUE.
IT WAS REPAINTED A PALE GREEN IN ORDER TO CAMOFLAGE IT

Attachments

Last edited:

emr

That was funny reading the current owners fable, its camo'd mint green! so U cant see it, darn i couldn't find it in the pic at first! Glad it is obvious that a J20 is a civy ride, as many vehicles bought for many reasons by military, but is no "M" series, he he he he ,,,,BUT i'd drive it, for300 to 500 bucks. Im a sucker for anything JEEP! and that is a suckers jeep, Randy

gwalker

After AMC had aquired jeep, AM General produced an updated version of the 715 called simply Am-715 (Am725) all were for export under the MAP program, they utilized the 258 engine and the stock AMC drivetrain, even stock wheels and tires.The Am 715 used a cab which had the 715 fold down windsheild but had the civ angled fender flares, also the orignal 715 bed. The dash in the Am-715 was military type but with all CJ gauges in it, the AM725 usted a completly stock J series cab and interior w/ a typical military type ambulance body.The army an other branches did however obtain J series trucks for more ordinary use on base over the years,like the ones discussed above. I dont think they used the AM general trucks but rather obtained the AMC civillian trucks.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks