• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DIY Bedliner stuff

underdog

I am going to do a cab interior. Have narrowed it down to two choices in the DIY category.
MagnaLiner
Durabak
Do you have any information- thoughts- experience - or opinions about this endeavor or the products selected?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I only have used the Herculiner and Duplicolor. I have found that No matter which product, the prep work is whats important. Make sure you apply on surfaces that have no shine. That means rough up any paint that is smooth. Also I have found that they stick well to Rustoleum's heavy rust "red" primer. Anything I have sandblasted gets covered with the primer first and then I apply the liner. You should expec atleast 2 coats, sometimes 3.

Jimmy

I just did the floor on my M62 with the spray in bedliner from NAPA, I think the can said Duplicolor. It turned out well and will post some pics tonight when I get home. The only problem I had was one gallon doesn't go very far at all if you want any thicknessl.

I took everything out then sanded and sprayed it on with an undercoat gun then put it back together so that I could get to the bolts in the future. I had enough for two coats on both floors but not enough for the tunnel.

gimpyrobb

Hey Jimmy, how long have you had the Duplicolor in place? I don't know if I got a bad batch or what, but mine seemed easily scratched. Whats your impression of it?

alphadeltaromeo

gimp...I've had the same issue. I have scratched mine up fairly easily and I did plenty of prep work to the bed of my truck. I took a DA sander to it prior and cleaned it well. Personally I don't think the recommended application thickness is enough. I'd put numerous layers on...probably 3 before I was happy with it. I purchased mine from Walmart...had the best price I could find.

Jimmy

Gimpyrob,
Mine took at least a week before it got firm, the first week it was dry to the touch but very soft and would scratch very easy. It has been about a month now and it is alot better than it was but I am still not sure how much I like it and I don't think I will do it in my other trucks.

littlebob

RE: Bedliner

Its way down the list for me, but I've heard some auto paint stores have the stuff and tint it diffeent colors. If/when I do I would want it to match the rest of the truck as close as possible.
littlebob

gimpyrobb

Jimmy that looks really nice. Shame it took so long to toughen up. I would probably have used it. Top notch job!

underdog

Jimmy
It took a gallon to do whats in the pics?
I have been reading around the web; Duplicolor gets a poor review for durability.

Jimmy

Underdog,
You wouldn't think it but that is a whole gallon, I don't see how it would do a whole truck bed.

Thanks Gimpy, it did turn out ok

Dieselsmoke

Durabak is great stuff. I've got it on two trucks, one a '97 F350. Did it right after we got the truck in '97. Only one scratch in it because I started loading tools in about an hour after i shot it on...work comes first.

tatra813

Dieselsmoke said:
Durabak is great stuff. I've got it on two trucks, one a '97 F350. Did it right after we got the truck in '97. Only one scratch in it because I started loading tools in about an hour after i shot it on...work comes first.

I agree I used durabak in my Tatra and it is absolutely awsome, It is very thick and looks very close to something like rhino lining. I took all the parts out of the truck that I could and had it rhino lined and the rest I used black durabak and it looks just as good and just as thick as the rhino lining. I am very picky and I was very impressed.

the bed lining you get in spray cans is not even comparable at all, Ive used that also and it scratches easily and looks like crap very quickly and is very thin.

If you look in the tatra forum I have pics of the durabak. like I said very happy.
just take the time to tape off everything right beforehand and buy a couple extra rollers from them, you have to use there rollers to get the right texture.

mbal

We have used duplicolor in the past on one of our wrecker beds, then we switched back to raptor liner. It can be tinted to what ever color you want. When we redid the inside or the m543a2 we used it and it has held up really well. Also with our wreckers the raptor liner has always stood the abuse during the michigan weather.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks