• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M5 High Speed Tractor info.

cckw353

Greetings all and a Happy New Year!

I recently purchased an M5 HST and am also starting my search for parts sources. Thank you all for the sources in the previous post. Parts sources particularly for a bogie wheel are needed. Also could use the engine TM which is TM 9-1786A

And even though the engine is seized it came with a new cosmoline covered engine on a pallet.

What I am wanting to know now is if the serial number was stamped anywhere on the vehicle besides the dataplate. My plate was removed at the time if was overhauled by Damiler-Benz in 56. (picture below).

The unit displays post war lettering style of the 3rd Infantry 41st Field Artillery, 2 Bat on the currenty paint scheme. I believe this unit was stationed in Germany at the time the overhaul was completed.

It arrived just before our first snow storm so got stuck outside for the winter.

Thanks,

Bill

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sweet track! Ironic, don't you think, that this track probably served in WWII fighting the Germans, only to have its engine rebuilt postwar by Mercedes Benz in Germany.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Bill,
Great HST!! I saw where you got that on the Gee. I am pretty jealous. :) I have been looking for a M5 project for a little while. There was a pair (M5A4) in KY that ended up getting sold to a guy in TX, who promptly tore them down for their tracks and running gear. :( I'll keep looking for one and hopefully will find one on the east coast somewhere.

I am not sure where you might find the hull-number. David Doyle is a good guy to ask here since he written a book on the M2,4,5,6,and 8 HST's. If you don't own it yet, I highly recommend it. There are many beautiful pictures of the M5 to guide your restoration. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress. We don't have a lot of armor and tracked vehicle members here so more are always welcome!!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Bill:
That is an awesome undertaking to see any WW II vehicle preserved puts my efforts at keeping 50's to 70's vehicles up to shame. Please post more pictures and it sure is good to see armor on the site.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I seem to recall that the SN is stamped on the frame as well. I'll have to dig through my IH files to be sure though. Portrayal Press probably has the engine TM.

I have a copy myself, which I am not interested in parting with, but if you need something looked up let me know. Thanks for the plug for my High Speed Tractor book Chris - only a few of those left.

Very cool vehicle.

Regards,
David Doyle

cckw353

Thank you Chris, David, and Mr. Doyle for the comments.

I purchased David Doyles excellent book on HST's from him last year at Aberdeen. It has been my best resource for this rig.

It was the one on the "G" but I saw it on the local craigslist the week before and "hemmed and hawed" about taking the plunge. Fortunately for me I was the first one in. The seller is a great guy and an HMV collector himself. It will get a good home.

It will be a long restoration as there is much rust from it sitting outside for some time. It does roll freely and other than that I have not been able to get much more inspected.

The best part about this tracked rig is that it can be unbolted right down to the frame. That means unlike other tracked vehicles it can be restored piece meal. All the compartments and sheet metal come off so they can be palletized and fork trucked to the sandblasting booth.

I would imagine that parts are going to biggest problem with this vehicle so if anyone knows a good source please send it on.

Stay well all.

Below are a couple of videos of the recovery. Sorry about the second one being dark...it was late.

Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0hTkWMOyvs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYlNE0tdrQU

Monkeyboyarmy

Anyone have a source for v-belts for the M5's? A friend of mine in Cleveland is looking for the 3 generator/fan belts and the air comoressor belt numbers.Thanks,Greg

Monkeyboyarmy

Hey guys.Just wanted to bump this back up to the top.My buddy is still looking for new fan/generator belts for his M5.They are 1 1/16 inches wide and everywhere he has checked nobody has that size.Any info would be appreciated.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sam Winer Motors in Akron, Ohio (330-628-4881) has several high speed tractors in various stages of salvage. Most I saw did not have engines in them.
Regards Marti

camionesen4

M5 and tracks

We bought a high speed tractor (which we believe is a M5) at an auction. We also bought a brand new set of track pads. Anybody know how we might go about selling the tracks, and how do we get more info about the tractor itself? It has 2 data plates. 1 says it's an M5A4, the other says it's an M5. We think it's an M5 that later had the cab from an M5A4 added to it while it was in service at a rail yard. the suspension and exhaust configuration lead us to believe it's an M5. Should I post pictures? Thanks! Kelly

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please post pictures! Welcome to the site. What are you asking for the tracks? You will know if you have an A4 because it is wider than a M5 at 9 feet 7 inches. It has extensions welded to the tracks. Also has doors all down the sides.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks