• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tailgate hinges

Sam27

This is a long shot... I'm replacing the tailgate/bed posts - the ones the tailgate hinges mount to. Thing is, the originals have rotted away so badly that I'm not exactly sure where the hinges need to go on the new posts. The replacement posts I got have some holes, but they don't really line up with the holes on the hinge pieces. So, does anyone have a picture of what this ought to look like when it's put together correctly? Anyone willing to take a picture for me? What I'd like to see is a picture of the hinge points on the box with the tailgate removed...

Thanks for any help.

Sam27

Hey thanks, that helps a lot. Here's a pic of my replacement post and the original hinge. Heck if I can figure out how the holes in it are supposed to help. :confused: Looks to me like I'll need to extend it lower with more sheet metal and probably wrap around to the metal under the bed too for support...

85-m1028

I think the 1/2 ton beds used smaller tailgate pivots hence the holes being closer together, looks to me like you could drill out another hole and fit your bracket? I measured the height from the bumper deck to the middle of the top hinge bolt is just over 5 1/2" on both sides, it's beggining to sound like you'd be better off rolling the chassis under a new body!! :sad: I had been thinking about how to fix my saggy cab and found these guys http://www.carletonautomotive.com/surplus.htm#government who sell body parts I have never priced or bought anything from them buy its nice to know there are options!!

Sam27

Yeah, I'd probably be better off buying a whole new box for $400 or so, but I'd kind of like to keep it all military instead of having some salvaged glossy red box from a silverado or something. :tongue: Besides, I just got a welder and this seemed like a good first project. I can measure down from the latch and get the hinge pretty close, then I'll use your picture to eyeball the location front to back. I'm not sure if I'll be able to use either of the existing holes though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks