• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Future purchase questions.

jst

I have several questions about the m274.This is going to be a father,son,grandfather, and grandfather project for all of us.Is there any model we sjould try to stay away from?I have read the 4 cylinder models were finicky about running?Are parts readily available for all engine manufacturers?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A5 had an aluminum bed, while all previous models had magnesium. The mag beds had a tendency to burn up in the field if they got hit with a flare or incendiary shrapnel, the aluminum didn't. To a collector, won't make any difference.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
A lot of folks like the four wheel steer models - so many so that many two wheel steer models have been converted to four wheel steer.

To a purist (not that I know any of those rofl ) this is herasy. If this is going to be concern to you, better to know on the front end that after the purchase.

Though I have no personal exeperience, it is my understanding that parts for the four cylinder engine are much more difficult to find than those for the two cylinder.

Send a PM to Chuck W, DavidB or Maccus on this site - they all have restored VERY nice Mules and they should be able to give you first hand info.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ther 2 cylinder mules are very easy to get parts for, Also my A5 being aluminum is easy to prep for paint ect. I know I prefer the A5. You should call Bill Watson from NC. He will have any part you could possibly need for the restoration and might even have a mule for you to start with. MACCUS from here has several project mules if you can convince him to part with one. Start with a good one because as small as they are they get very expensive-fast, when replacing parts. The really good thing about the 2 cylinders is the availability of CHEAP engine parts because it is the same engine as the 5KW generator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks