• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Serial Number Value????

deuceman51

I was just wondering if the serial number on a deuce means anything value wise. I know a gun or corvette with low serial number is worth way more than a higher one? Does anybody know if a very low serial number deuce is worth a bunch? Also does anybody know the NAPA number for the seal on the output shaft of the transmission? Thanks.

liljohn

deuceman51 said:
I was just wondering if the serial number on a deuce means anything value wise. I know a gun or corvette with low serial number is worth way more than a higher one? Does anybody know if a very low serial number deuce is worth a bunch? Also does anybody know the NAPA number for the seal on the output shaft of the transmission? Thanks.
Haven't seen much of this with the Deuce, though I'd imagine if you had one that's real low you could use that as a selling point. When you start getting into the WWII era Jeeps, a low SN is a big plus. Most guys know their serial number and exactly where it fits into the production line (especially if its low). I'm not even sure what the SN is on my Deuce...

deuceman51

The only reason I was wondering is because my 1951 M135 has a serial number of 082. Production started Sept of 1951 and mine is dated October 1951. As far as I have found, mine is the lowest serial number that survives? Someone correct me if they know of one lower please. I don't plan to sell it anyways, I just wanted to know if they are worth that much more. Does anybody know how many were made or anything else like that about them?

butch atkins

hello from the south,in a 1992 issue of wheels & tracks magazine that i havesays that 62,380 g-749 trucks were made for us forces,they came in 3 wheelbase sizes,144 in. ,w 900-20 dual rear tires,m209 chassis/cab,m215 dump,m221 tractor,156 in. wheelbase w 1100-20 single tires m133 chassis/cab,m135 cargo {w/ wheel housings }, 156 in. wheelbase,900-20 tires dual rear,m207 chassis/cab,m207c chassis cab w walking beam bogie,m211 cargo (flat floor),m214 crane on m207 chassis,m217 fuel tanker( 1200 gal),m217c fuel tanker w compartments,m218 wrecker(on m207c chassis),m220 shop van,m222 water tank(1000 gal),192 in wheelbase w 900-20 dual rear tires,m208 chassis/ cab,lot of info ,doesnt say how many of each were made, the last ones were made in late 1956/1957,article also mentions an m218 recovery vehicle,anybody out there ever see any of these vehicles take pictures and share them bet you guys didnt know there were that many variants of our beloved little trucks,also gmc of canada produced about 40,000 of these trucks also

Tony

deuceman 51,

talking about serial numbers yours being# 082 9/51

mine are #889 11/51 - USA

#3765 12/51 - USMC

They must have been really cranking them out 3000 in one month?

not too much difference between them , one thing I did notice on the earlier one it has a fuel primer pump installed in the dash, left hand side.

Tony

deuceman51
What type of tailgate do you have on your M-135?

On my USA one, #889 is very much different than the #3765. The older tailgate has a built-in step. Once the gate is dropped, you pull a lever and the step drops down, nice set up. THe only other difference that I have noticed so far, is the primer hand pump installed in the dash, left of the steering wheel.

deuceman51

My tailgate looks like the later style, it just flops down and has the footman loops. It's possible that it was upgraded in the service to the newer style. I would like to see a pic of yours as I have never heard of anything like that.

John.Westlock

Last year I saw someone selling one of those GMC 6x6 cranes someone mentioned. It was $2000 . It seemed to be in decent condition. Here is the catch it was buyer transports- from Vancouver Island- I think. BC, Canada. It was ferried over at somepoint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks