• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct blasting media.....

cjs

Hello all,

I am in the process of restoring an old frame that I have laying around. It was painted with baked on enamel, what media would I use to clean off the paint?

Please let me know.
Thanks.
-Chris

Jones

What equipment are you using? If you have a good-sized sand-blasting rig then any of the available media should work from dried sand to the more abrasive fly ash. If you've got a smaller home shop set-up I'd stick with dried sand (comes in 50# bags; you don't want the stuff from an aggregate yard that's been sitting in the open gathering moisture).

therbert

I cheated and tried some white play sand from lowes last time, Cheap and worked well enough for me. May not be the industry standard but didn't have any problems..

ygmir

the heavier (denser) it is, and, more angular, the faster cutting..........
Commercially, I use black beauty (copper slag) for that, or, garnet, although, the latter is pretty expensive.....although, either can be screened and re-used
regular, washed 20/30 grit is good for throw away.
I use a 1/8" nominal nozzle, 100 PSI, which requires about 100 cu. ft./min.
Good luck,
Henry

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks