• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Veggie oil way up in price....

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They used to give it away from the local restaurants here a year or so ago. Now everyone thinks used veggie oil is gold, and, get this, a few local places charge $3.00 a gallon for it! What's up with that?

therbert

Remember that value is only what you make it. There a more people buying items on ebay for more than their worth then 5 years ago. Everything on ebay is cheaper right!!!

Got to love the new world.. It's only getting better.

underdog

Maybe you are seeing the economic ripples, from the bio fuels eating into the food production.
They are already seeing a large environmental impact.
Something about corn being a very thirsty crop.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Corn is being used more and more for the production of ethanal I saw an OP-ED piece on the fact that more farmers are planting corn where they used to plant barley and now the price of beer will be going up as well. I don't think my deuce would run on beer so that doesnt bother me.

Kwai

Law of supply and demand. Simple economics. Everybody has been told that veggie oil will save the world and now everybody wants it.
Also you are competing with big companies that make bio-fuels that can enter into long-term contracts with the veggie oil producers to get their oil at a price lower than you can buy it (volume discount).

No mystery here. Just capitalism working at its best.

poppop

Last year I sold my soybeans for $5.25 a bushel. Yesterday I could have sold this years crop for $11.41 a bu. And they are headed up to even higher prices.

jodka

Guess it's not so good to use a food for fuel....
Well, it would seem to depend on the food.

This table gives oil production in units of gallons/acre for various crops.

Not only land area but all inputs to production, such as fuel and labor, should be considered when comparing oil crops. But that table does suggest that there are better and worse crop choices for use as biodiesel feedstocks and that soy oil is toward the worse end.

I was surprised to see that Chinese tallow- which grows in California, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, North or South Carolina, and Florida- yields 699 gallons of oil a year per acre. One could drive a vehicle which gets 10 miles/gallon 6,990 miles per year on one acre's crop. An acre of soy, in comparison, would get you 480 miles. Growers in cooler climates could get 1,910 miles on an acre of pecans.

- Allen

ygmir

RE: Here

"Soylent geen is us" quote from Charleton Heston in the movie.
My wishes are with him........

I've been told that if we tried to convert enough ground to plant oil production, we'd have no water for food crops........

houdel

RE: Here

Course, a lot of people miss the point that the fiber "cake" left after the oil extraction makes a great livestock base feedstock. Lower in fat and higher in protein (on a per lb basis) than the original grain crop. Same for certain human foods, such a cereals.

pa.rich

Why is anyone using it? At those prices, why bother? ust to stop using oil? This all started in order to save dollars, no? Save the earth? Is that the point of paying more for Bio than diesel? I am con fused. I thought a person could pick this stuff up for free?

JeepMan

Re: RE: Veggie oil way up in price....

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Corn is being used more and more for the production of ethanal I saw an OP-ED piece on the fact that more farmers are planting corn where they used to plant barley and now the price of beer will be going up as well. I don't think my deuce would run on beer so that doesnt bother me.
I got thinking about this. Basically to extract or turn corn into alcohol don't you have to have what essentially would be one big bad a** still ?? Does'nt it take a fire under the still to do the job of making the alcohol ?? But then I got thinking, don't beer/whiskey brewers put corn mash into huge vats and let it do it's thing also ?? Either way, would'nt it be impractical to make ethanol because of the expense of using fuel to make it or to let it sit in a huge number of vats ??
Educate me/us --

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks