• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slave Receptical Rebuild

Barrman

People post up asking about how to put new wires on slave cable recepticals all the time. The manuals show that one can be taken apart, but I don't remember a post showing how it comes apart.

I got someones throw away because the wires had been cut off at the back. Breaking it would not make it worth any less than what it was like before.

I put the unit in a press and pushed the rubber plug holding the lead ends out the bottom of the aluminum case. Not much pressure was needed, but more than you could develop with just your fingers.

I then pushed each lead out the front of the rubber plug. They needed a bit more pressure.

I hurt my back Saturday morning and am not really mobile right now so I can't finish the plug or the story for a few days.

But, here is the plug all apart with the pieces displayed in the way the came off. This is also a chance to show off my newly painted Gasser frame.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barrman said:
I then pushed each lead out the front of the rubber plug. They needed a bit more pressure.....
The contacts (sockets) are normally installed from the rear of the plug, not sure that you could have gotten them thru and out the front with cables attached.
As a matter of fact, just take a 1/4" dia rod and knock the sockets out from the front, no need to remove the rubber plug.
Pressing new sockets in with the cable attached may be more of a problem...

If the sockets are not burnt or damaged, splice on new cables, using crimped on butt splice connector(s) as shown below. Some heatshrink and black vinyl tape will make it as good as new.

Thanks for posting and hope your back recovers quickly.

Attachments

Barrman

RE: Re: Slave Receptical Rebuild

Thanks for the advise. I will put the plug back in first and then the leads then since that has worked for you.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Slave Receptical Rebuild

I haven't actually installed a contact yet, for smaller connectors, there is an "insertion" tool, a thin walled tubular tool, which grabs the contact by its shoulder so that no stress is applied to the wire/cable connection when installed. Don't know if one is needed for this size.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks