• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detailed photos of up armored HMMWV

halftrack

This is what they look like when they are new.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, Jason, those pics make me want another HMMWV...well, I guess it would be more accurate to say that I want one of THOSE HMMWVs!

TedG

Great pictures with details for my build! Any chance you have a few engine compartment pictures?

Regards,

halftrack

Jones said:
Man... I bet the've even still got that "new-HMMWV-smell". (Insert sound of drool dripping on a tile floor here)

They did! The smell of new paint, rubber, glass, and metal coming together all as one. Better than a new car smell.

Refalgren

for looks and functionality they're great vehicles.

on the other hand, due to overloading with excessive material which they were never designed for, the following problems will occur with any heavy duty usage (probably includes decent trail usage as well)

- Increased maintenance due to accelerated parts wearout (too much weight)

- Lack of acceleration (very slow. even with turbo. too much weight)

- Tops out quickly (about 60mph max speed. personal experience. again, too much weight. seeing a pattern yet?)

- Decreased visability (extra armor dictates small, thick door windows. no rear window due to rear armor plate and turtle shell)

- Ground guide usage for backing up required (properly designed mounts which attach LARGE mirrors to the front bumper may alleviate this. small mirrors encountered too often in most cases)

- Armor protection moderately effective against blast-type IEDs (ineffective against latest "penetrator" type IEDs being implemented.)

Overall a good vehicle, but as I have personally driven them in Iraq and seen the results first hand in comparison (pulled security for one of the recovery teams. was assigned an M1114), I would take other vehicles over the M1114 Up-Armored HMMWV into combat (M1117 ASV, and the improved M113 APC system jump to mind)

jwaller

for the life of me I dont understand why they are not putting GM latest powertrain in the vehicle. the Allison and duramax would be an awesome combo with more power(300hp and 520 TQ) and reliability. slow acceleration would be a thing of the past and it's lighter and more fuel efficient. wow what a thought. and to think the H1 got them in the Alpha series. so I know they have done all the R&D to make it happen.

Alredneck

Banned
Whats sad is the glass is the most ballistic resistant stuff on the whole truck, just build them out of that glass. You can paint glass right :D

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have convoyed in them in Iraq and Afghanistan and they are meeting the requirements better than the unarmored version but as stated the Army is now bringing in the MRAP to replace them for high risk movements. The Convoy Support Vehicle is good but also has maintainance issues. The powerplant is an issue and we routinely had UAH's going off the FOB weighing in at over 14,000 pounds. The frames bend and the aluminum fatigue are two other great concerns. My challenge to our guys was be ever vigilant because avoiding an RPG is easier if you are shooting at the guy as he is aiming. Seeing the IED ahead and avoiding it if possible is always better than getting hit by one. If an EFP or 100 pound bomb or bigger is used even the heavier armor has problems. I am glad we at least have these for our fine Soldiers, Thank you America

emr

My buddy Sgt. Nick,on his 3rd!! tour in Afganistan said they are really doing it,of the first 50 they got, about 40 have been blown up in the last 2 tours, and NO DEATHS in His unit.! he said amazingly how hard they took hits and almost all have been able to walk away with minor injurys,and almost all of the uparmoured Hummers have been able to have all new parts bolted on to keep em on active duty, only few were detroyed beyond fixing. so im hearing they are realy good! Nick was just home on leave, I would like to say that His main concern was his buddys ...and that he loved coming home but needed to get back to his buddys as soon as possible, God bless Him and all His Buddys and everyone of You Men and Women serving our great Nation! Randy

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes. Why is the interior OD and the exterior Desert Tan? If those are new HMMWV's, why are they not all tan? I could understand if they are refurbs, ....???

Elwenil

I would imagine if you scratched the paint you would find a layer of 383 green under the desert tan. If you look at the door jams and around the rear hatch you can see that only the exposed areas are painted tan and everything concealed then the doors are shut is still green. I believe I am correct when I say that they are built OD green, but are painted tan after assembly per the spec on the current order.

dannymoz71

Hate to tell you, but the M1114's have been replaced by a newer HMMWV. The M1151 is the latest truck. Alot like the 1114, but more armour and electrical. They have been on the road about a year now. We were the 2nd briagade to get them, and its been almost a year now. The M1114's that are still on the road have new doors on them with extra armour as well. A fully combat loaded 1151 comes in just shy of 18000 lbs. And we have found that turning up the injection pump really wakes both models up.

Attachments

I recently got back home from my tour in Afghanistan and looking at these new HMMVW's makes me wonder a few thing's in regards to the armoring of the doors. I've added some pic's of the one's I routinely saw except for 2(?) styles that I don't have or can't locate pic's of right now. I agree with Refalgren, the heavily armored HMMVW's were real pig's off the line acceleration wise, but they sure looked kick-@$$ out driving around kitted up...especially with the Mk.19 mounted and the newer Ibistek bumpers. Can anyone explain the difference in armored door's? I was assuming that they may be newer higher protection or some were for a specific role (I'm also not familiar with the M- numbering system in regards to all of them either). One thing for sure was you didn't see any HMMVW's outside the wire with soft door's. If you saw a vehicle like that it was for sure a British Land-Rover. Those guy's had my respect driving those rig's. Reminded me of "The Rat Patrol"

Attachments

What are the tan vehicles on the low-bed's called? They look familiar in a newer V-100 series kind of way. The turret looks similar to the Cadillac-Gage 1M turret. I've seen them before somewhere but can't remember where on-line it was.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks