• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cold weather starting

jayvet

I have purchased my first unimog ( 416 ). I hope to use it in cold weather. I have numerous diesel vehicles but the all have block heaters, glow plugs and/or ether bottle . I see there is the cold weather starting aid. What fluid goes in it? I assume ether. Any trick or help would be appreciated

thanks jay

NC_Pinz

It requires MB starter fluid. You can contact most Mog dealers like Jim Ince at Eurotech in Oregon. The real stuff is not that expensive and works well on the OM352 engine.

vtunimog

I think there is something about using the OEM MB stuff as it had a special lubricant. Jim Ince is a great source but you can get it locally at any Freightliner dealer as well. I had a 416 3 years ago and it hated to start in the cold. I finally purchased a webasto coolant heater - what a difference ! As you know the heat sucks in mogs for some reason so any extra heat you can get out of them is pretty precious. You can get a used Webasto coolant heater with blower for around $400 or so. They are a bit tricky to install though.

Wolf.Dose

The cold starting aid is a flame to heat up the aspirated air, using diesel, or with seperate container (very small) gas. The gas is sufficiant for a max of three tries. Do not use either!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks