• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trump plans to lift Obama-era ban on giving local police military equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillabongKong

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Copied from Fox News article

The Trump administration will bring back the movement of surplus military equipment to local law enforcement.
Documents obtained by Fox News reveal President Trump will sign an executive order reversing an Obama-era policy which restricted local police agencies' ability to get access to gear such as armored personnel carriers, grenade launchers and other military-grade equipment.
Trump's executive order will restore "The full scope of a longstanding program for recycling surplus, lifesaving gear from the Department of Defense."

WITH TRUMP, POLICE HOPE TO DEPLOY MILITARY GEAR BANNED UNDER OBAMA
The document continues, "The gear recycled through the Department of Defense’s 1033 program includes everything from ammunition and vehicles to office supplies... Under that program, assets that would otherwise be scrapped can be repurposed to help state, local, and tribal law enforcement better protect public safety and reduce crime."
The policy change will be announced by Attorney General Jeff Sessions during a speech to the national conference of the Fraternal Order of Police in Nashville, according to a source familiar with the plan.
National police groups had been pushing for Trump to rescind the previous executive ban, to ensure that local and state police departments aren't put in danger when responding to active shooter calls or terrorist attacks.
OBAMA ANNOUNCES RESTRICTIONS ON DISTRIBUTION OF MILITARY-STYLE EQUIPMENT TO POLICE
An armored vehicle played a key role in the police response to the December 2015 mass shooting in San Bernardino, California.
Obama's executive order was established amid outcry over the use of military gear that law enforcement officials used during the Ferguson, Missouri, unrest after 18-year-old Michael Brown was fatally shot. Police responded in riot gear and deployed tear gas, dogs and armored vehicles. At times, they also pointed assault rifles at protesters.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Jake Gibson is a producer working at the Fox News Washington bureau who covers politics, law enforcement and intelligence issues.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's try this one last time.

Keep your political comments(BS) out of your posts.

Next time everyone gets infractions and the thread goes.

99nouns

Yeah thats awsome we can just use grenade lunch the active shooter, it will be really clean, no active shooter, no suspects, no witness, no victims, no building, it will be so clean, and actually now police can buy all the MC bulldozers from GP for useful purpose.

Oh boy did I fall for it please dont ban me.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Although I was disappointed when the 1033 program was nixed and things like APC's were recalled to become range targets, our personal motor pool benefited from it's secondary impact - the fall-out from the 1033's discontinuance.

Midland County (Texas) Sheriff's Department had to surrender its TWO fully functional APC's. Consequently, the support equipment for transporting them also became surplus. I did not bid on the trailer they used, but we DID win the bidding for the XM818 with rear-mounted winch (their in-house modification). AND, we won it at an incredible price too!

Every cloud has a silver lining.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah thats awsome we can just use grenade lunch the active shooter, it will be really clean, no active shooter, no suspects, no witness, no victims, no building, it will be so clean, and actually now police can buy all the MC bulldozers from GP for useful purpose.

Oh boy did I fall for it please dont ban me.
Ahh the old "it's not fair that they have what we don't have".

You can own a machine gun. Heck you can own a grenade. Just need to pay the $200 to transfer ownership (tax stamp, a machine gun must also be a "transferable"). Heck you can own armored vehicles too, with NO registration. Your argument is invalid.

99nouns

I remember the good ole days when all the police had was a whistle and a wood stick. And had to walk. Unless you are hiring all saints I am agains militarizing police, the otherday some one was trespassing my property and only reason I didnt shoot him because I had the option to call police, no he wasn't just passing by, he was scooping out my sheds and the police thanked me for calling them because they were looking and he got arrested which I didnt even complain or press charges...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I never claimed they were all saints. I simply clarified the fact that you too can own comparable hardware. Actually buying armor would be less involved than what the LE has to go through.

99nouns

I never claimed they were all saints. I simply clarified the fact that you too can own comparable hardware. Actually buying armor would be less involved than what the LE has to go through.
I am against military grade weapon and defense idems to be owned by any public too.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am against military grade weapon and defense idems to be owned by any public too.
Isn't it wonderful that we live in a free country? You can have your opinion about my rights. I can enjoy my rights.

PS, you should sell off your "military grade" vehicles. A civilian grade vehicle will accomplish the same task.

99nouns

I said military grade armour and weapon systems, what part of your rights requires you to own a non demilitirized 50cal for what purpose? Or what would you do with an IED armoured vehicle?

I am all for civilian militia and weapons like ARs, if you ban guns only criminals will have them, but if we are talking about hand granades, or LATs or LAWs or granade launchers, I cant find a single reason for anyone to own any of that for and reasonable reason, perhaps you might want to state what would be your resonable scenario without paranoia, my truck has no devensive or offensive capacity, it is just a cool truck, I dont think no one should have a right to own a APC with a 50cal on it, my opinion is if you are given a right to own that level of threatening and dangerous equipment is violation to my right to having peace without you being a subordinate of authority who will be held responsible.

Not to forget your freedom is bound by my rights, you cant practice your freedom if it violates my rights, then it becomes a right of survival which then no one has rights which becomes the survival of the fittest.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some may not think a deuce or similar vehicle is not a 'weapon', however, ANY ITEM your Uncle Sam has ever required an EUC for the purchaser to take possession is, by your Uncle's definition A WEAPON of military grade and functionality that Uncle DOES NOT want in the hands of an 'enemy'. PERIOD.

I must concur. Under the terms specified, you MUST surrender your MV(s) since they are WEAPONS.

Ala Forrest Gump, That's all I have to say about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks