• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did you drive or ship your MV when purchased? Please read...

Deuce-bigalo

Ok, so hypothetically if I was to say buy a 5 Ton or a Deuce even in another state, it was good to drive and had no concerns what would be the ramnifications do driving it say from Mississippi to Arizona without any Class A or B endorsements? Some states are particular about vehicles with more than one axle, not to mention the GVWR - Can you (and have you through several states) gotten away with it?

Just wanted to know your experiences! :idea:

Thanks!

John [thumbzup]

Opie

Through pure ignorance, I drove through Ohio and West Virginia without knowledge of their requirements. I figured the Virginia trip permit would get me through if I had troubles.

Fortunately, i got home without incident.

Desert Rat

DB,
I've never had any problems with my deuce from Johnny Law. I've blown by scales and many interceptors have passed me without as much as a second glance.

Deuce-bigalo

Cool, well that's definately a consideration when looking for the 'deuce to be' and where it may be. I know that in AZ it's not a problem, however if you just bought it can you literally just jump in it a drive home (considering it runs and all!! HAHA)

I would just hate to buy something out of state, try and drive it home and get popped and it impounded due to lack of 'endorsements'!!

John

Westech

CPL
700 miles in the rain at night no plates and the j-pipe blown out in a tan deuce no problems. for a cop to pull over a military truck that is driving fine ( no beer cans flying out, weaving ect ...) he would opps or she would have to be a comie

Deuce-bigalo

I just can't see them keeping an eye out for these Military Trucks. They obviously don't go the fastest and aren't going to out run the helicopter either (though the camo paint may help to hide it! HAHA)

I just wasn't sure about the weight stations and all that. If these MV's are en route and not loaded, do they still need to stop? From the information I have gathered unless your using it commercially you don't need to stop! (Cuz I REALLY like the XM813!!!)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've driven many and had many shipped. It all depends upon the location of the truck. I've gone as far as South Carolina (from MD) to retrieve a truck. A lot of it depends upon the faith that you have in the truck. I've purchased several trucks from Joe Young, for example. I'd trust his trucks to drive them across the country. I am not sure I'd make that trip in a straight-from-GL truck, however.

MVtrucker

Right on, Bruce! I was able to drive quite a few home when purchased from DRMO. Out of all the GL sales I bought deuces from, I wouldn't think of hitting the road in without a thorough going over.
See ya at Aberdeen.

JohnnyReb

Of course you could always pick one up with a 5ton trailer and pull it with a F350, :freaked: . right Joe?
(inside joke, I bought a truck from Joe in NJ and picked it up with the above referenced rig, don't think Joe believed it would get back to GA. I can still see him shaking his head as we drove off).

rdixiemiller

I bought mine from an individual in Montgomery Al. and drove it home. He had been driving the truck once a week for several years, so i was not worried. I had my little Beer Can truck on a towbar, so I always had a backup means of locomotion.

jasonjc

I've done both include the gooseneck and F350 you can't beat a surper duty!!!
hualed 3 of them that way aslo dove one out of GL some one had taken all the bulbs out of the light. a trucker had worn the toll both that an amry truck was behind him with no lights. we had stop just before and took the bulbs out of the on the trailer lucky!!

If you plan on the drive make shure you take some parts and oil and stuff with they is a good list on here of thing to take.

JohnnyReb

Right on JC! Did you get funny looks when pulling the deuce on a trailer with a truck half the size of the deuce? At a fuel stop, fella asked me if I didn't have it backwards, loaded the deuce by mistake to pull the Super Duty!
Nice to know that I am not the only crazy redneck on this forum :p

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i had my 819 trucked from phila. to gainesville, ga. ,glad i did, right after it arived the fuel filter pluged, but when i had my m52 in calif. i didnt think trice about a 200 mile and back trip

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heck, I've driven them home and drug em on the towbar behind my pickup. I drove my tractor 1100 miles home without nary a problem. Where did it come from? Bruce Kubu of course.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, thanks for the kind words. Another thing for people to consider is their skill as a mechanic. If you are mechanically inclined...as is Kenny (and many others on this list)...you can have the confidence to drive long distances knowing that you can probably fix whatever might go wrong. A little mechanical knowledge goes a long way. Also, I believe there is another post that covers the checklist that one should run through before driving a truck away. I drove my M932A2 to Aberdeen and wouldn't you know that the fuel filter clogged when I was almost there, even though the filter had been replaced last December. I think the truck had been sitting before I got it and I probably stirred up any junk in the tank. I had to replace the filter while I was at the show. Kenny jumped up on the tire and insisted on helping me with it. For those that have not met him, Kenny is one hell of a nice guy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks