• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1.5 kw genset adjustment

Jeffd

hi guys, I have a 1.5kw gen set that has been sitting unused for around 4-5 years. I drained all the old varnished gas out of it, cleaned the glass bowl. The needle valve had been removed when i got it back then and i have it but not sure what the adjustment is on it. I'm guessing at around 3\4 of a turn out once seated. Anyone know what it should be at? I pulled my guts out today trying to get it fired up but the only way i was even able to get a spudder from it was to put a small amount of gas down each plug hole.

i'm also guessing that this carb is probably going to have to come off to be cleaned which i'm not looking forward to as i don't have any gaskets etc for it. Oh and i did fill up the fuel pump chamber, glass bowl before trying to fire it up.

any pointers would be appreciated. This unit did run perfect before letting sit for so long. The original owner had removed the needle valve for another one of his gen sets but gave me a replacement some time ago.

thanks in advance, Jeff

m35a2cowner

generator

I have one that was in the same condition, I think I had to replace the fuel line because of some sort of blockage of it or the fuel filter. There might also be a screen in the tank that needs to be checked. First thing to do is make sure gas is getting to the carb. If it is and it doesn't run take the float bowel off and look to see if the float is stuck. As a rule of thumb I start with two turns out on the main jet adjustment. Is yours a 34 volt generator? 2 poper Continental?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either change the carb or genset. Those silly string starters are a pain in the arse. I got rid of all mine, tired uf wrapping and hoping.

Jeffd

this set is a 120v if i can get it running :) yes this rope start is a pain in the arse..maybe i'll get lucky if i can clean or replace the carb on it. I'll check the fuel filter also and line\hose. Too bad there wasn't a fuel primer bulb on it. Also will try 2 turns out on the main needle valve on the carb.

thanks!

Jeffd

It looks like the carb is the same one used on the 3kw model. Any idea if the carb needle valve adjustments are the same? I do have a manual for the 3kw and i believe it says to open up the needle adjustment only 3\4 of a turn.
anyone know forsure?

going to have to find a manual for the 1.5 kw that shows the carb adjustments.

mangus580

Adjustments should be the same...

1.5kw manual should be in the TM section

Saturn Surplus carries new carbs...

and like kenny says... DITCH THE 'WRAP & HOPE'!!

I sure am glad I got that off my wood splitter :)

Jeffd

hi, i looked at the manuals and there is nothing mentioned about carb settings. The 3kw model is a 6hp and the 1.5kw is a 3hp. Would the adjustments not be different? If someone has a different manual for a 1.5kw pull and pray that shows the carb and needle adjustment settings I would appreciate the info.
The manuals i have for the 3kw does into the settings and adjustment for it but nothing written on the 2 i see on the site for the 1.5kw.
thanks!

Jeffd

thanks for the reply Magnus, my 3kw manual calls for 3\4 of a turn out on the main adjustment needle and 1\2 turn out on the idle adjustment needle. Guess i'll run with that. Kinda fugured those setting would be different on the carb between a 6hp and 3hp engine.

I'll giver a try..thanks again.
Jeff

Crash_AF

I hated those things when I was a Power Pro tech in the Air Force... we had the 28VDC version in Germany for running radio pallets in HMMWVs. The carbs are tempermental and if it's been sitting forever, either take it apart and clean the varnish out of it or replace it with a new one (we always did the latter because trying to rebuild those little side draft MFs was a royal pain.

To answer your question now that I'm done ranting... LOL... the passages in the carb are probably all gummed up with varnish. If you get a new carb and get it running, put some Sta-Bil in the gas before you store it.

I'm with Kenny on this one, replace the genset with something without the silly string

Jeffd

hmm..its quite a unit forsure. I found a blockage in the rubber line from the tank to the sediment bowl connection. cleared it and once removing the glass bowl, the rubber gasket between the glass bowl and the brass housing fell apart in my hands. Looks like i'm gonna have to find another gasket somewhere. There was no screen in the strainer assembly. I worked towards the carb and started to remove it. Until i came to the govenor unit fixed to the left side of the carb. Was not sure how to go about removing it from the carb in order to completely remove the carb so i put the carb back on. No doubt the carb will need to come off but a little reluctant to do so with that side unit attached. I'm sure its a real joy to remove all the govenor linkage etc if never done it before.

yes a real project. Good thing i got the unit real cheap :) And without a doubt the fuel pump (without actuator lever) is probably cooked also. I can't even order a replacement fuel pump from saturn as they won't ship cross border.

this may in fact go back where it came from..the back corner of my shed

Jeff

Jeffd

removed the carb this evening and cleaned it. I cant see it being any special gasket that seals the glass strainer bowl so thats what i will try and find next. Anyone have a working fuel pump for this unit? :) as i have a feeling it will be pooched. I would probably just replace the entire fuel strainer bowl assembly if i could find one around here. I'm guessing a strainer bowl is a strainer bowl as long as the fittings on either side are the right size.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff, try this! Bypass the fuel pump and gravity feed fuel to it from a container higher than the genset just to get it running and dialed in. From there you can start collecting the little stuff you need.

mangus580

Jeff, saturn has all you need right here
Link dead.
New Carb, fuel pump, strainer bowl.... the price of the new stuff makes it hard to mess with the old!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeffd

yup or i would just order a new fuel pump, fuel filter\strainer etc. Oh well i guess theres ebay

I plan on buying a new generator in the future but would like to have this ol guy as a backup or for mobile use

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks