• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Virgina Steel Soldiers Rally - April 4-6, 2008 - sign up !

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, time to start making arrangement on this end for the Spring 2008 Virginia SS Rally! This rally will be a weekend trail riding event in the scenic mountains just west of Harrisonburg, VA in the George Washington National Forest. Date is set for the first weekend of April 2008, sort of a shakedown event for those who will be trucking to Aberdeen in May.

The terrain covered will be easy to mid level difficulty, dirt roads with some rocks and mud. Nothing that would stop a military vehicle. There are lots of trails we can cover in the 2 days that the event will be taking place, from Friday through Sunday morning. Larger MVs such as M35s and 5-tons are welcome, and I have already cleared it with the Forest Ranger. Smaller vehicles like jeeps are great, and may be able to hit more trails than the big boys would. Sorry for your trackheads - no tanks! :)

Cost to attend is not determined yet, but there will probably be a small fee of a certain amount to cover liability, a T-shirt or something similar, and one meal provided by myself, or someone willing to cook edible food for one night! Will post info on this issue as we get closer, but it shouldn't be more than $25 or so per person.

Camping in your vehicles or in the woods is fine, campfires are allowed as long as they are kept under control. Beer and other Al Coholic beverages are allowed in camp after dark, no drinking and driving! Rain or shine - actually it will be more fun if it rains! MVs love mud! Pets are allowed as well. We will be miles from a service station, so make sure you have plenty of fuel, and bring tools/repair parts as tow services are non-existant in the mountains.

I would like to get a list going of the people who are committed to going in this timeframe, along with how many guests and vehicles. I don't want this to be a huge thing, like the Aberdeen rally, but want to keep this an informal get-together for those who want to get out early Spring and have a great time in the woods with their MVs. I will update the list with those who want to come as we progress.

Hope to see you there!

Coming to the rally:

1/4-ton vehicles:
--------------------
L1A1, 1 guest, M151 ?

3/4-ton vehicles:
---------------------
Elwenil, Ramcharger
ShieldWolf, M37
tsmall07, 1 guest, M1008 CUCV

2-1/2 ton vehicles:
----------------------
MadDawg308, possibly 1 guest, M35A2 and M38-C
Opie, 1 guest, M109A3
wadereq, 1 guest, M109
BKubu, 1 guest, M35A2
Adamlee, 1-2 guests, M35A2
musclecars664, 2-3 guests, M35A2 and Cherokee?
actionfigurebob, 2-4 guests, (2) M35A2s
justinflohr, 1 guest?, M35A2
Flea, 1 guest?, M35A2
1917, 1 guest, M35A2 or M813?
rsites, 1 guest, M35A2
troll, 1 guest?, M35A2
SierraHotel, M35A2

5-ton vehicles:
------------------
TheBuggyman, 1 guest, M813 or M818
M215, M813
mbware, 1 guest, M51a2 or M543a2

Unsure/undetermined vehicles:
-------------------------------------
SteelSoldiers, 1 guest, M37, M756A2, M818 or ?
5.0fox, 1 guest, unknown vehicle

Elwenil

RE: Virgina Steel Soldiers Rally - April 4-6, 2008 - sign up

I will be there in my 1 ton Ramcharger barring any unforeseen mechanical or financial difficulties.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Virgina Steel Soldiers Rally - April 4-6, 2008 - sign up

Figures, I'm driving my deuce up this Friday from SC, but I move back to SC to start my job in March. Grrr.... aua

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: VA rally 4/4/08

Okay, so far looks like we have a good start - we have 7 Steel Soldiers, 7 vehicles, and up to 6 guests. Anyone else care to sign up?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I'll be there and my brother probably will too. We'll be bringing one or two of the following: M37, M756A2, M818 or ?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I will be there with a friend in one of my M35A2s. I might bring another truck if I find another friend who wants to drive one. Mike, count me in with one friend for now.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I think the HEMTT would be pushing the limits of what the ranger told me: "Sure, large army trucks are okay." I think 5-tons towing a M105-sized trailer will have to be the limit in this area of the park.

M215

VA Rally

Hey Mike,
What are your thoughts on trail clearances, will a 5 ton with rear cargo cover installed be OK or too tall? I'm debating whether to pull the M105 with the S250 shelter as a camper or just use the back of the 5 ton w / cover. I don't want to damage my new rear cover for the M813.
Thanks, Karl

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No way I'd consider bringing the HEMTT. I would be afraid that I'd have to turn that thing around some place tight!

My reco, M215...ditch the cargo cover and bows for the trail ride. I once was on a trail ride with a guy with a deuce and warning light set-up. By the end of the trail ride, the warning lights were a mess!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd agree with Bruce on the cargo cover issue, M215. Most of the area down there has plenty of headroom, but some areas the tree branches come down within deuce level. I plan on taking a deuce without the bows or cargo cover, just the side racks. If you have convoy lights, might be a good thing to remove them, too, for the time being.

The trucks always look better with all the toys attached, but just ask gilbert2-1/2ton about vehicle parts and low hanging branches. He'll tell you what happens:

Attachments

Opie

Mrs. Opie is officially on board! We can hold a OD Disease Support Group meeting if one other lady attends.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks