• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Only in a Huey!

jasonjc

It's been a long time sicne I last rode in a huey. I need to add one of them to my wish list. Anyone want to go havles or may be 1/100,000ths???

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Finest helicopter that's ever flown..................

:beer: <----held high in honor of all the UH-1's and their crews

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I know it say Colorado but any connection with Cheyene Medevac? Had a VERY positive experience with them in the desert and they saved the life of one of our soldiers. One of many I'm sure but I always like to think this story is a little different. Too long to post here though.

I only had the glory of riding in them twice. I lettered two for a film company and part of my payment was a ride in them. The pilot asked me if I wanted a ride or a "RIDE". Being a pilot myself I asked for "THE BIG RIDE".
Turned out he was a Vietnam Vet chopper pilot and he gave me the ride of my life. He demonstrated how extractions were made in hostile environments.
I absolutely loved it and...................I still have skid marks in my drawers. :lol:

vtdeucedriver

I have been in aviation a long time. This is my favorite aircraft!!!!! I have flown in all types from the P-51 to a Ford Trimotor. I STILL have not got a ride in a UH-1. My love affair came to me when i was little. I grew up living on a airstrip just outside Burlington VT. Every once in a while the VTANG would fly in to the strip with either the UH-1 or OH-6A's. I would hear them comming and I would run out and wave my arms in excitement. They would come down and hover in my back yard for a min and then leave. I think about it now and these guys were just back from the war. I can still see them flying the loach with the doors off. But the most impressive thing for a kid at the age of 6 is watching the rotor blades of a Huey beat the air in their back yard!!

co_rotorhead

Same here! I have had the real benefit if flying many different helicopters in both the Navy and the National Guard. Hands down, the Huey was by far the most fun to fly. Simple, reliable and real seat of the pants flying - especially low and fast with the doors open! No trim, auto pilot, stabilization...you had to FLY it! Used to fly the Huey to several Veterans Day events or local air shows and it was always the most popular...especially with those guys that depended on it for the their lives! You could always see a real connection between the Huey and the Vietnam Vets (similar I suppose to the M35). Proud to have had the chance to fly that aircraft.

Here's one of those time...

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

Any huey items in the collection?????? I got a cockpit door and a tail rotor blade! I also have a skid to a OH-6A that still in the crate from Hughes dated 69.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would rather fly in a Huey than fu........errrrr eat.
I took door gunner training in a Huey in 1973 just after the 101st Airborne had returned from Nam.
Those pilots would give you the ride of your life.....and you got to shoot live ammo from a moving bird.
After I became a journalist I got to do photo shoots from Hueys and they were a great camera platform.
Many of the National Guard pilots I flew with were Nam vets and they flew for the pure joy of it. What a way to make a living 8) .
There are very few left in the inventory still flying.
I have flown in, Blackhawks, Chanooks and even a Skycrane but I'll always love the Huey best.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There is a Ga. ARNG Aviation Support Facility at a rural airport maybe 2 miles from my house and Huey's buzz my house on a daily basis. Occasional UH-60's come by, but Huey's on a daily basis.

Funny story: One day I was in the backyard working on the deuce and I had walked inside to look at the TM and a Huey came by (whup whup whup whup) and it sounded like it had stopped. I walked back outside and he is hovering right over the deuce, so low I could see the helmet of one of the guys in the back leaning out and looking down.

"Hey guys, are we missing any Deuces? 'Cause there is one in this backyard!"

rofl

AMGeneral

I guess I count myself as lucky then as I have flown in a UH-1,a Loach,and a Cobra plus a B-17 all on the same weekend!! I actually enjoyed the Huey and B-17 the most of all 4 but still a once in a lifetime expierence!!!I actually talked the G/F into going with me on the UH-1,she wasn't too thrilled when I told her it was nearly 40 years old!,especially when I picked the door gunner seat for both of us!!!

The local Forest Service still operates a Huey for fire spotting/fighting,I still start scanning the skies when I hear the rotors beating the air.

ov1guy

So far I've found out that Huey 68-16625 has not been through the boneyard at DM. It hasn't been purchased and given an N number for US civil aviation. I've found no FAA incident reports on it. Although the list from the Vietnam Helicopter Pilot Assn. isn't complete, it's not listed as having had a (crew) fatality while there. The serial number doesn't appear on any other list that I was able to access, nor did it appear on any static displays that I saw. The only things that I can think of is that it's still flying with the US Army, with a foreign government (which will often change the designation), or crashed on a military base (no FAA or NTSB investigation). While there are probably some other places to look, I think I'll just call it Miller Time.

jasonjc

Could it have been rebuilt into a new UH-1 and given a new tail number??? I know that the OH-58A were rebuilt into the OH-58D and got new tail number.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While in Korea, we jumped from Hueys. You ride with your feet on the skids and take turns jumping off from each side to make it easier for the pilot to keep steady. Here my buddies are getting ready, six guys plus the jump master on each flight.
The dot in the distance is a Huey, I have more images somewhere....

I have uploaded very few non-wheeled vehicle articles from the PS magazines, the Huey is one of the exeptions, a very special MV. :)

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?set_albumName=album16&name=gallery&include=view_album.php

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks