• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ANOTHER HMMWV GLOW PLUG PROBLEM!

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Guys,
1987 M1044, 6.2...
Replaced the controler, replaced the engine sensor, even replaced the engine wireing harrness. Turn the knob, glow light lights up, then goes out..The light stays on longer when colder.., If I try and start it, nothing, If i crank the crap out of it , it will start. Check the glow pugs, with a ohm meter and its weird..I get 16volts for 1 sec, then 2 volts, then 8 volts, then nothing. Each timre I try it I get different voltage readings.. Even when the light is on I get no voltage. Maybe I got a bad controler?..Is the controler the black box under the dash?..Is there something else Im missed replaceing?..Yes, I put new Glow plugs in..
Thanks in Advance..

Kevin..

TedG

Cevon,

Do you have a ground harness installed? If not, buy one immediately from a vendor (kascar) or make your own. The engine block needs to be bonded to the grounds of the: dash stud, controller box, generator, starter.

Also, go to the manual section of this site and download the necessary manuals for extremely useful information. Else, buy the manuals on ebay.

Regards,

blackdog

Hi, does your glow plug light go on for like a fraction of a second and then off immediately? If you don't have a green or yellow label PCB I would replace the GPC because I was having the same problems...

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
I will double chaeck the grounding of the engine, I will tempory hook up some jumper cables from the battary ground to the engine block, and to the dash bolt on the GPC..To see if it helps. The glow light stays on for 5 secs in 60 degree weather..(heated garage). I will check the label on myme...
I will check the ground harness..I thought the engine harness was also a ground harness..The engine was just installed, maybe they forgot a wire or 2...thanks for all the info!..Whats a "PCB"?...
Kevin...

sheriffsam6

With what I have seen it is probably the PCB box, and along with that the long cranking is due to a check valve in the fuel filter assy that goes bad. Check voltage between 54A and I think (c) port going into PCB if voltage less than 2 V probably problem

X2 on the additional grounding harness. You should have at least one running from battery ground to engine block, alternator bracket and PCB mount. I have had trucks blow through glow plugs with good new green KDS boxes because the system was not grounded correctly. Before you do anything else-go through and install good aux ground harness with minimum 12 gauge wire.

jwaller

also check the ohm's of each glow plug. should be at least 1ohm. if not then you have at least a bad one. I have about 1 a month that needs to be replaced.

hummer4x4guy

Ya get what ya pay for. I 2nd the non swelling glow plugs. There is also a guy on ebay that sells pretty much the same style plug for the humvee and they are non swelling and one year warranty. Got an extra 8 sitting around here waiting for me to use em..
Joel (still alive n kicking) humvee price is down to 29,900 if anyones interested...

3ID ARMY BRAT

I know this has nothing to do with what the thread is about. But a good friend of mine whats to get a M988 HMMWV. So I'm Asking where to find One. If any one can help me whit this I would be much appreciated.

DEA AK

Cevon,

Do you have a ground harness installed? If not, buy one immediately from a vendor (kascar) or make your own. The engine block needs to be bonded to the grounds of the: dash stud, controller box, generator, starter.

Also, go to the manual section of this site and download the necessary manuals for extremely useful information. Else, buy the manuals on ebay.

Regards,
This ground harness that you mentioned… is that not already installed on the HMMWV?

Is it in the battery box? How do I know if I am good to go with mine? I had my glow plugs burn out - is that a ground problem?

I have wires on my NEG shunt, is that the grounding harness you mentioned or do I need more?

I am not a mechanic so all this stuff is new to me.

Thanks,
David

AAVP7

That thread is more than 10 years old. At that time, an extra grounding harness was sometimes sold as the ultimate cure for all electrical problems on a Humvee.

However, the factory wiring harness already contains ground wires. There are very, very few electrical items on a Humvee that use the body as ground. All important items have ground connections in the stock wire loom.

So, IF your factory grounds are nice and tight, there´s no need for an extra grounding harness. If they are not tight and clean, well, instead of buying an extra grounding harness, why not just clean those ground connections ?

The one ground connection that seems to cause most trouble is the body stud hidden behind the heater controls. Remove the doghouse, remove the instrument panel then you can inspect and clean the wires attached to that grounding point.

Glow plugs in my view mostly burn out because of a defective control box that doesn´t stop afterglow. Always watch you voltmeter during afterglow. During afterglow, the needle will either pulsate or stay in the yellow for a few seconds. If the needle doesn´t go to green after a few minutes at the latest, you either have permanent afterglow, or a defective alternator.

Some users recommend to use only the latest S3 control box, others use manual afterglow control. Google Camoteksystems for a box with manual afterglow.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That thread is more than 10 years old. At that time, an extra grounding harness was sometimes sold as the ultimate cure for all electrical problems on a Humvee.

However, the factory wiring harness already contains ground wires. There are very, very few electrical items on a Humvee that use the body as ground. All important items have ground connections in the stock wire loom.

So, IF your factory grounds are nice and tight, there´s no need for an extra grounding harness. If they are not tight and clean, well, instead of buying an extra grounding harness, why not just clean those ground connections ?

The one ground connection that seems to cause most trouble is the body stud hidden behind the heater controls. Remove the doghouse, remove the instrument panel then you can inspect and clean the wires attached to that grounding point.

Glow plugs in my view mostly burn out because of a defective control box that doesn´t stop afterglow. Always watch you voltmeter during afterglow. During afterglow, the needle will either pulsate or stay in the yellow for a few seconds. If the needle doesn´t go to green after a few minutes at the latest, you either have permanent afterglow, or a defective alternator.

Some users recommend to use only the latest S3 control box, others use manual afterglow control. Google Camoteksystems for a box with manual afterglow.
Search this forum keywords Tobash and bypass and learn how to easily build your own box. Won’t cost a lot.

DEA AK

Great info, thank you very much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks