• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Trip

taylordc15

All right guys, been lurking on here for the last few months and got infected with the OD fever. I am returning from overseas and bought a M1009 outside of San Fran I will be picking it up around the last week of feb, first week of mar and driving to the east coast right now it looks like San Fran to San Diego to Tucson to Dallas To Chattanooga take some leave and then run up to Virginia to pick up some of my stuff before heading to New Orleans to pick up the M35A2W/W I bought there. Does anybody along that route have a tow bar they want to sell? I will need it once I get the Duce so I can get them both to Corpus Christi.

Attachments

Mike_Pop

What are those green boxes under the hood? Arctic heater? What's the tan colored thing on the front quarter panel?

citizensoldier

Austin Weber in TX has them for sale from time to time.. He is on ebay under beltfed.. I think he is just south of Houston but I know nothing about TX other than its huge..
Nice truck! I see it has the arctic kit very nice.. Welcome aboard and drop us some pictures and let us know how your trip is going. You will be driving by or near many SS members so if you get in trouble let us know.

taylordc15

Mike_Pop
Yes Arctic heater and the front quarter panel is a swing fire heater port

Citizensoldier
I found Austin Weber by searching on here but all he has listed are large tow bars, I will do that if I can't find a medium. Thanks for the suggestion

citizensoldier

Drop him a email.. Many times he has stuff in the shoot just not listed yet.. Great guy and I dont know how he does it! Its a side job for him.. I dont think you want a big bar unless you get the wrecker to go along with it..lol They are 200lb's plus .. heheheh..
Oh.. and I see your returning from over seas.. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE !!! Can you narrate on that or would you rather not talk about it? I am going to guess Navy by where you are coming in but you could be one of the FEW also..

citizensoldier

Now thats just cool! And again thank you for your service.. So you are a devil dog with wings.. Have a great trip..Must be something landing on that strip after all that died to get it in WWII.. You have any shots from the base? Just awsome..

FrankUSMC

Skipper
You need orders to MCAS Cherry Point! If you ever fly in, drop me a line. I have about 15 military vehicles here to play with, 1941 Dodge WC-1 up to a 1972 M530C (M35 crash truck).
The guy you are buying the M1009 off of is a friend of mine, I have never seen him, but I have been helping him for a couple of years restore a WWII Marine 4x4 Crash truck, not easy when we are on different coasts. He is a good Joe.
Good luck and good hunting.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

taylordc15

Frank,
If I ever make it back to Cherry Point Ill give you a call. I don't see myself ever getting stationed there again, this move to Corpus Christi will take me to 20 and I plan on retiring from there

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Very cool pics! There was an extra towbar at the Fontana scrap yard last time we were there, the prices are right. I thought about getting it next time we go there, I could just pass the deal along to you. I am right off the 5 freeway by Six Flags Magic Mountain on your way down to San Diego, I'll shoot you a PM if I am able to pick it up before you head down.

taylordc15

Yes those are flame thrower tanks, I didn't have a nearly as long as I would have liked to to look around. I didn't get over to see so no pics but we left a lot of vehicles and equipment buried in "million dollar hole" there was a lot of stuff I would have loved to have brought back but we are not allowed to take anything off the island

Djfreema, I would really appreciate it if you can pick it up, if it works out just let me know what I owe you and what parts if any are missing so I can get to work on getting them. Thanks
Dave

AJMBLAZER

Schweet pics. Nice '09.
Wait, does Command know about this? No one over the rank of Corporal is supposed to be driving green stuff.

Makes me glad I was never stationed in Japan/Oki. I'd have been worthless trying to go see the WWII stuff.

taylordc15

I just bought "command" a new vehicle so she is not complaining to much right now. Well see how things go when the green stuff continues to multiply.

Getting to see Iwo Jima was the opportunity of a lifetime, there is still some stuff on okinawa but all the vehicles and weapons are long gone. A lot of sites have been built over, you used to find a lot of unexploded ordnance but even that is starting to run out.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks