• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oshkosh Recovery (UPDATE!)

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Part I

I probably shouldn't make a post like this as I would hate to jinx myself, shoot my mouth off, and shoot myself in the foot, all at the same time before any type of roadtrip/recovery mission....

If you were thinking Hemmets, PLSs, or HETs. Sorry :oops: I don't have the $ or room for one those yet....Think cigar store indian instead :)

This acquisition is the result of a desperate need for a large(r) dump truck with a front drive axle (like an M817.) The only problem is the chances of finding one on an impossibly cheap budget and in good condition at the present time is next to none. They've dissapeared from GL at the moment.

The truck is either a WA-700 or 900 series with a GVW of 33,000. Not quite that of the 817s but it will do for now. More details and of course pics to follow....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part II

The Second part of this post deals with how we're going to drag it home..... (from PA.)

Due to not having access to a Mil. towbar we've (we: as in my brother and I) decided to attach a commercial style heavy duty towbar to the rear of the M819.

The advantages are:

*Installs in place of the rear shackle mounts on the underside of the 5th wheel approach ramps means it can be removed for stock appearance or when not needed by removing two pins.

*Not limited to towing MVs.

*Turning axis is inline with lifting point.

*Lighter than a 5th wheel mounted wrecker device.

The Disadvantages are:

*Not as nice as a fancy pants underlift towing device.

*This method of towing (although done this way for many decades) could cause cosmetic damage (or worse) to the towed vehicle. :roll:

We weighed the options and this was the most affordable and versitile method that was geographicaly available to us at the moment as well as not adding something that was a permanent part of the truck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And due to the fact that I wrote all of this without including any pics, I'm giving myself the:

nopics

You'll just have to wait till Monday :wink:

We will be departing at 0330 tommorrow :driver:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Oshkosh Recovery

Best of luck.
Now the adventure really begins.
Spend the rest of the day dotting the i's and crossing the t's.
Then tonite, get no rest and you will be in top shape. :grd:

No.2Diesel

After reading your recent post It put the scare back in me. :shock: Thanks for posting your adventure.

Caution and safety will be the order of the day.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Wow, sounds like an adventure! Good thing you have that 819! I can't wait for the full report with pics :)

No.2Diesel

Hi, (long post)

Well we made it!

Schedule Summary:

Saturday:

0330: Departed from home
0700: Arrived in Lansdale, PA
0945: Departed from Lansdale with Oshkosh
1015: Ate breakfast at Friendly's
1330: Re-tread cap flew off Oshkosh on NJ Turnpike
1420: Tire changed, back on the road
1445: Took on fuel for M819
1700: Arrived home
1705: Imbibe some good brews :beer:

I was surprised at how well the M819 operated under a loaded condition. The extra wheelbase certainly helped keep the nose from getting unloaded. There was no difference noticed in steering. Out on the highway anything greater than small grades reduced our speed and sometimes requiring a downshift to fourth. On the local roads to the PA Tpke we had to go down to 3 a couple of times. We managed to 55-60 most of the way though on the highways. Braking was not really an issue either.

The only vehicle we passed all day was a rusty toyata loaded with crap :)

Both ways we decided to take the tunnels instead of going the long way around over the Whitestone, Cross BX, and GWB. Less distance, a little slower pace and less potholes (if you can believe it.) It was just the right time to go through downtown Manhattan. All the drunk people were getting out. I love watching all the hot women neatly dressed, barfing everywhere and stumbling :p

On the way back we went through midtown. Lots of gawking from the Times Square tourists. You should have seen the looks on those double parked taxi drivers (and passengers) when we bore down on their a$$es. :twisted:

Cops and Port Auth. cops waved.

The only hiccup to a very smooth recovery was the 40yr. old retread that disintegrated on the NJ Tpke. We thought it was rust at first falling off, but then realized what it actually was. Boy that Ken Tool Geared lug wrench is Gold! It pays for it self in one use. We were soon back on the road. The scary thing is that we didn't feel the tire let loose.

Towbar:

Turning was smooth, no bucking, truck tracked great, and the hookup was easy due to the plow mount. The chains are 5/8" dia. We attached a safety chain just in case. We put the Oshkosh's tranny and transfer in neutral and turned on its emergency flashers, that was it.

Attaching towbar to M819:

All we did was remove the stock shackle mounts on the 5th wheel ramps and weld on the towbar pin mounts. We also reinforced the mounts and the open area of the approach ramps. I hope no one is too upset. Let me know what you think. We spray bombed it in Aervoe woodland for now. The whole truck needs a new paint 3 color job.

Oshkosh:

Its a 1957 W-712 4x4. It started life as a tractor, (still has a PTO braden winch behind the cab with 5/8" cable.) Somewhere along its life the 5th wheel and outside duals were removed and a Heil (1949 vintage) was added. It has 19K on the odometer and 1K hrs. Manual steering, full air brakes, AND CAB HEAT! what more can you want? :)

Engine is a Cummins C-180 with a Schwitzer blower on the side. (Sounds good) 401cu.in. 180HP and 425lb.ft. Max Op RPM is 2500. Tranny is 5spd (non overdrive model :cry: ) and very high numerical axle ratio. More research is needed to find all specs.

The truck is slightly taller at the cab than the 819. Looking through the service manual, this is a quality product!!

Future Modifications:

*Fix or replace dump bed
*Swap in C-650 overdrive 5spd in place of current C-65 (no rush on this mod)
*New tires
*Put duals back on
*Clean and paint as required

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading all of this.

Next post: Pics!!

No.2Diesel

I cut out the "wiffle tree". Other than that the towbar was manufactured by WeldBuilt here on LI. Shackles attached are 1-1/8"

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that wiffle tree and towbar assembly looks tough as nails, guys! Great pics on the recovery, glad to hear you got it home safe.

You won't hear any complaints from me about the welding/mod job on the rear ramps. Looks like you made a good thing better!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Goofy looking "aura" you have in pic #9! Whats with the gouges in the whiffle plate? Didi the plate come with those or is there a purpose? Sweet recovery.

No.2Diesel

I already had a leftover plate of 1/2" thk. laying around. Yes it would have been better to use a 1" thk. instead.

I took two 1/2" and cut them out and welded the perimeters. The gouges in the middle are slots I torched in one of the plates so that they could be plug welded. Probably not neccessary but what the hey?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that a C or J model Cummins? It's been a hundred years since i've seen one. Does it still run OK? Nice truck. It looks like it's in good shape.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks