• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light tower/generator trailer

oilcan

I'm trying to get a light tower shipped, but I have no idea how big they're supposed to be. The fellow I'm getting it from says it has deuce sized tires on the trailer, but he's by no means an "MV" type of a guy. Info from any remaining data plates is supposed to be on it's way. However, I sure would appreciate a pic or two from someone in the know, and maybe some specs if available. I need to give my poor old dialup a rest from all the searching I've already tried...

oilcan

Ah, moonman Irv (err), nice! That's the sort of thing I was looking for. Any idea on the weight, fully equipped? Model #'s?
Also, is there a bigger version so I don't get caught flat-footed? I hate buying stuff sight-unseen.

And gimp... Searchlights? It'd be cool, but..

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
We had several of those in a unit I was in at Fort Benning.
They were used if we set up an ammo dump out in the field.
Ours used the same tires and rims as a M151 Jeep but we pulled them with CCCVs.
They spent 99 percent of their time in the motor pool.
They were a light set but they could be modified to mount an antenna on.

oilcan

Hmm, I'm pretty well convinced that this is what I have coming. It's still hard to believe that someone could confuse M151 tires with what's on a deuce, though...

oilcan

Ok I got a little more info on this unit. (finally)

It's on an M116A1 3/4 ton trailer with 900-800 MS tires (civie?) and a data plate says it weighs 875 pounds. The tire size has me stumped...
The genset is labeled MEP017A, delivered Oct 68.

My search for genset info came up with a whole bunch of useful stuff, but I haven't been able to find a pic of the trailer. I tried downloading a TM, but stared at a blank screen for 10 minuites before giving up. (Friggin' dialup...) Anyone care to share?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the TMs, try tight clicking and saving to your computer. I have the same problem trying to open them right from the site. I've seen the 101 with the genset and tower but I have no pics

oilcan

Thanks for the TM tip, Kenny, I'll give it a try here directly. I'm trying for the M116 TM.

I think I recently saw the same pic you're talking about, but couldn't find it. Time for another search attempt.

Thanks again all!

oilcan

I saw that one when I started my hunt, Kenny. Quite the letdown when I saw the pic was so worthless for my purposes.

Mike, I did find the trailer dimensions very useful for shipping. And there are lots of drawings of the bare chassis. I'll have to look a little closer to see if the weight with all the equipment is listed. I guess I could go by the max gross weight, but I would like to be a little more accurate than that.

oilcan

No pics yet. As long as it took to get just a basic description, I'm not gonna hold my breath. The request is in, though...

sprucemt

What my "worthless" pic does not show, is that the tires are m151 type.

It's the same trailer that has already been posted in the pic above.

BillIdaho

I have been looking for one of those antenna tower trailers for a few years now. I had a chance to get one in pretty good condition, but it was all the way on the other side of the US.
I know there are the smaller ones built on an M762 chassis, and recently found out there were also ones built on the bigger 3/4 ton trailer. Both had a 40-50 foot tall retractable tower that pivoted from horizontal to vertical. The smaller one had outriggers for stability.
Still looking, BTW.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks