• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Workshop Manual for U500 Unimog

stosh

Anyone recommend a source for -20 and higher maintenance manual for my 2004 U500? Since FL isn't really supporting this vehicle anymore, I'd like to free myself from the clutches of the 5 or so dealerships who still support the U500.

I'd like to cross reference engine and drivetrain parts with a FL dealer.

Not sure if I have any other options for the Unimog U500 specific parts....or do I?

saddamsnightmare

January 27th, 2008.

Dear Sir:

I would suggest getting the shop manual for your truck from the Mercedes dealer, as I did not know Uncle Sam had the U500's. I would direct you towards Mr. Michael Smith at United Parts Service (Unipaser) in Palo Alto, CA, as he has been a wealth of information and an
Unfortunately for all of us, the Mercedes Benz parts aren't going to get any cheaper with the weak buck on the international market, so if you want your truck to run right, just grin, bear it and shell out. At least the 404.114's were fairly simple and fairly robust, as trucks went, and other then a dose of very bad gas here in Texas, mine's been really reliable as a daily driver.
Does your U500 have the rather strange throw out bearing assembly accessed and repacked through the transmission shifter hand hole in the back of the cab (like the 404.114)? I always wondered what German Fritz Goldberg came up with that one, with no alemite or zerk fittings, and the need to repack once or twice a year, it must've made the MB truck mechanics happy and wealthy men.
I am certain Unipaser can help you get the manual(s) and parts you need, now just find a good, skilled mechanic if you don't like working on them yourself. A mercedes guy would at least have the right mindset.
GOOD LUCK,

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114 (Swiss)
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran Deuce Truck

stosh

Military doesn't have the U500 in its inventory. The -20 reference came from my maintenance officer (S4) days in the 82nd.

I have the owner's manual but its German to English translation leaves a lot to be desired. It really doesn't offer me any info but I do have an excellent bodybuilder CD with CAD drawings and location layout of all hydraulic lines, etc.
Thanks for the leads on locating shop manuals.

Wolf.Dose

U 500 is the biggest of the UGN (Unimog Generation neu, in English: Unimog generation new) and has except of the basic design idea nothing in common with the 404's. Engine is a standard OM 906 LA/III which is also used in other Freightliner trucks (as far as I remenber for example MD80), transmission is a standard 8 speed trans. It is build from the big box of Daimler parts. Of course the chassis and the cab itself is Unimog special. The OM is not intended to be a Part 20 or 34 manual. These are only available on CD and usually only in dealers hands.
However, usually you need only some filter and sometimes new brake linings. The other parts should not need repair during the next 10 years, if you care a little for your Mog and clean it after use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks