• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen Carb Float Replacements?

m139h2otruck

Anyone know where to get replacement floats for the 4a032 engine carbs? Had an issue with the original carb, so installed a new carb from Saturn, and still the float swells and sticks in the body of the carb. Any suggestions? Sanded the float down and sealed with a gas proof (who knows?) sealer. It ran OK the next day, but haven't tried it since. A brass float would be great, but who made this carb? No wonder the Army got sick of these engines. Too bad, as they run great. Thanks

m139h2otruck

BUMP

No one has any ideas? If I knew who made these little carbs, I would try to get a brass replacement made. There are carb repair houses that can do this work, but they need alot of input.
Thanks

1956_4x4

Is this a common problem with these units? Could it have something to do with a formula change for the fuel? I'm just wondering since I have two compressors with these engines. I was thinking they would be pretty reliable, but I may have been wrong...

Smitty

m139h2otruck

Yes, its my best guess that the "new" gas is the problem. They (NHDES) outlawed the use of MTBE in gas within the last couple of years, so the gas companies now use 10% ethyl-alcohol in the gas for pollution control (high O2 contentent). The floats are made of some type of foam like material with a "skin". In this 3kw unit, they have swelled up so that it sticks in the bowl of the carb and holds the needle shut. Funny, but they don't seem to bother in the little 1.5 kw gen sets (not yet!!).

Guyfang

Staff member
This is a long dead and gone thread. BUT, no, the "new" gas has nothing to do with the carb's problems. The carbs were simply crap. Rebuild able, but crap. Parts are VERY hard to find.

dav5

This is a long dead and gone thread. BUT, no, the "new" gas has nothing to do with the carb's problems. The carbs were simply crap. Rebuild able, but crap. Parts are VERY hard to find.
Guyfang,
It's great to see you are a moderator now. A guy with lots of common sense is a perfect candidate. You have shown you have a ton of common sense.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks