• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not good for California MV owners or buyers

ClanOGallagher

I have a friend at DMV and I was tell her how I want to get my first MV and she said be carefull and sent me this. Hope this is some good info for everyone.Resized_20180212_145612.jpgResized_20180212_145620.jpg

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It mentions hmmwvs specifially . It mentions the vehicles used by agencies, where the government retains ownership. It also mentions the surplus civvy vehicles.

5ton trucks, deuces, etc, are conspicuous in their absence. There's plenty of people with 5tons registered as historic vehicles in California. A deuce or a 5ton should be no problem unless something has recently changed.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, my deuce has been registered historic for years. On my registration, there is no weight listed, fuel type, nothing commercial whatsoever. It just says 66 Kaiserjp. No model. Just classified as UT (truck). I also got my new registration renewal in November after this came out, the fees went up of course due to our stupid “highway fund” improvement program, only $10 for this registration, but this is a whole different topic altogether. My wife’s 10 year old SUV went up $110.

I have a friend in the process of registering a truck (M35) right now. I’ll keep you all posted how it goes. It has never been registered so if something has changed he’ll find out.

I’m thinking maybe my truck is grandfathered in.

Also, due to smog law changes, all trucks registered for commercial use must have all new tier one engines installed. That’s a very small percentage of MV owners here for obvious reasons. It’s best to just use historic plates as you bypass all the extra fees and politics. Honestly I’ve never had anyone check my mileage to make sure I’m staying below the 2500 max per year. I don’t haul stuff for hire (they allow you to haul personal things), and follow the laws of the road. I’ve never been bothered other than have my tailgate down one time and the officer couldn’t see my taillights. And even then he just helped me lift it up and we talked on the side of the road about my truck and the story behind it. Granted I live in a pretty conservative area...Bakersfield.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It mentions hmmwvs specifially . It mentions the vehicles used by agencies, where the government retains ownership. It also mentions the surplus civvy vehicles.

5ton trucks, deuces, etc, are conspicuous in their absence. There's plenty of people with 5tons registered as historic vehicles in California. A deuce or a 5ton should be no problem unless something has recently changed.
It also references "Tactical Vehicles" under the HMMWV section and clearly states these vehicles lack, 17 digit VIN, a secondary or alternate VIN, a emission label and FMVSS label . So It looks like they covered them.

ClanOGallagher

Ok so just talked to her today and as of right now nothing has changed it's still up in the air so she said hurry and register any you want for normal on road registration. We will still always be able to do historic plates but there are limitations on when and where we can drive. Her boss also said the ones that are registered by mistake will be honored but you may not be able to transfer the on road registration to anyone else. But their not 100% sure I will post up when I hear anything else.

Terra1936

Has anyone had success as historic in California? I was offered off highway only. They said no to historic. So my 1913 model T is ok and faster but a mv humvee is not?

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a guy in the process of registering here right now. He’s going through a title company. They have to register it as commercial before you can even apply for historic.

That way they can getcha for that weight fee.

$$$ for the roads you know...

NovacaineFix

My M818 5 ton has been registered prior to Oct. '17 as historic with no issues at all.
I drive it typically to event functions, car shows and the occasional lubrication drive.
As it is a tractor truck (looks like a semi truck) it is not really defined as a tactical vehicle as would a MRAP would be.
I went through a registration service and the it is insured and completely 100% legal.

Now when I do drive, I do not drive through or pull over for weigh stations as being historic exempts the truck from road weight usage. Now if you were using it as commercial use, things would be much different and the costs and rules are applied differently.

But yes, unless these are new rules set by the DMV, you can register your MV legally in CA.

Now since it does mention HMWVV'S specifically, my personal opinion thinks that this is a way for the DMV to close any loopholes of people registering said HMWVV.
But the is based on nothing.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This and the CARB regs that were on the horizon is why I sold my truck a few years back.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend at DMV said with historic plates you don't need to go in the scales so no worries about that
The problem is that in order to apply for historic plates, you must first have commercial plates, which means it needs a weight needs to be done. If it’s already historic then you’re fine.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe something has changed since I registered my Deuce in CA. I bought it from GovLiquidation in 2008. I only had an SF-97. I had a Veh. Reg. business come out to the house and perform a Vin. verification. I did get the truck weighed. I got historical plates straight up.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe something has changed since I registered my Deuce in CA. I bought it from GovLiquidation in 2008. I only had an SF-97. I had a Veh. Reg. business come out to the house and perform a Vin. verification. I did get the truck weighed. I got historical plates straight up.
I believe it has changed since. Mine was a similar situation, my buddy is having to go through more red tape with his. He is also dealing with a title service.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, that kinda sucks if things have changed for the worst. Anyone wanna offer my silly money for my registered and titled deuce?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks