• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

YS Carb rebuild

Rapid10X

Guys,

I just joined the site and am in the process on doing a complete frame off restoration of a 51 Marine Corp. M38. It came out of the midwest and was missing alot of the original issue accessories. It also had the Marines specified undercoating on it which has been a pain to remove to be able to prep. for paint. I am finshed up to a rolling chassis and have started on the engine. The 38 came with a W.O. carb on it which was not original. I found two YS carbs with the oringinal internal parts loose in a box. I need to rebuild one of them to install and was going to purchase one of the "Master" carb rebuild kits. My question is, does this carb require any special tools or adjustments during the rebuild process or will it be a rather simple thing to just install the new internal components in the shells :?: Its been a while since I rebuilt a carb and even then, those were four barrels, Any advice?

Thanks Ken

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Welcome to the site and I hope you find this to be a great resourse for you. We had an old Marine Jeep on our farm when I was a kid and the original waterproof ignition gave out so my Granddad replaced it with a standard civy one. Back then keeping them running was the high priority issue so I can see why they replaced your carb. It should be quite simple as those were very basic units.

65falcon

Welcome Rapidx10 to the sight there is a wealth of knowledge from a lot of guys on this sight. I have rebuilt 2 carter y-s carbs for my M38a1 the original and one that was given to me for a spare and by no means an expert but do not remember needing any special tooling. The 2 carbs were in pretty good shape just dirty and gummed up inside.I did not replace or remove any of the shafts levers or butterfly plates only the diaph. poppets, seats etc. I did order a manual TM9-1826A/TO 19-75CCA-6 for Carter carburetors just because I had never rebuilt one before. It has been a few years now since I rebuilt them and so far have had no problem with the one on the jeep.Good luck with the rebuild.

DaveO

Hi Rapidx10,

I just started frequenting this site myself. I'm still wading through all the info posted here. It's great!

As to your carb: They are a pretty straight forward job. If you don't have parts cleaning tank, I would suggest that you invest in a few cans of carb cleaner and a couple of those gun cleaning toothbrushes. About 3/4 of the time I take to install a rebuild kit is spent cleaning it inside and out.

All the little passages come out somewhere. If you stick the nozzle in one port, the fluid will come out somewhere else.I squirt until the fluid comes out clear, and then hit it a bit more. Spend some time making sure that you have all the varnish and deposits out, then hit everything with some air at low pressure (I use about 10 psi).

Good luck...

Dave

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
willysmjeeps.com rules, but I was hoping for some more Jeep traffic here on SS.

That being said, I surf willysmjeeps.com several times a day.

Rapid10X

Thanks everyone for the responces. I work at a CAT dealership to the parts washer is no problem to clean the carb out. I just ordered a master carb rebuild kit today and will start the process when I get it.

Righty now Im in the process of getting all the old undercoating off the body. Im scraping it off with a spackle knife so its a long process. The USMC must have really been thinking with the undercoating mil. procurement spec. because most of the body including the hat channels are in perfect shape. Im staying away from the media blasting of it because most of the original paint underneath is in great shape so why disturb it by taking it down to bare metal. The areas that do have rust will be POR'ed to seal them up then primed and top coated with OD.

Ive been taking pics but since the wife has the digital at the office, its been all with film . I'll have to figure a way to get them converted to electronici so I can post the before and aftern pics as I go along.

Thanks again

GaMillerman

Clinto;

As soon as I get my M38 finished I intend to come to your rallys. Its all in pieces right now. Not my first M38 to do but its going to be my last one. And your right about not much jeep activity on here. I like this forum because ya all get out and use/drive your vehicles. The majority of the people I have seen around here with jeeps tend to haul them around on a trailer; let them sit while people ow and ah over them then load them up and go back home. I fully intend to drive mine; get it dirty; and have fun. If you want to see what I started with I have an album on willysmjeeps site under the ID of gamillerman.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
GaMillerman said:
Clinto;

As soon as I get my M38 finished I intend to come to your rallys. Its all in pieces right now. Not my first M38 to do but its going to be my last one. And your right about not much jeep activity on here. I like this forum because ya all get out and use/drive your vehicles. The majority of the people I have seen around here with jeeps tend to haul them around on a trailer; let them sit while people ow and ah over them then load them up and go back home. I fully intend to drive mine; get it dirty; and have fun. If you want to see what I started with I have an album on willysmjeeps site under the ID of gamillerman.
We look forward to it! Just remember, you are more than welcome to come to the next one without the Jeep if it isn't done....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks