• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to look for in a Carrier

kinetichotshot

Moderators: I think that a "Sticky/Announcement" may be in order to help educate everybody as to what to look for when looking for a transporter...

Aside from SteelSoldiers helping each other out; I just wanted to give a word of caution when choosing someone to transport you valued MV's and other goods. Unfortunately there are a LOT of scam artists out there and being a fully compliant Motor Carrier I hear WAY too many stories of people being taken by illegal/non-compliant transporters.
:( PLEASE be careful when choosing a carrier!!!

Allow me, please, to post a word of caution about UShip, and things to ask for from ANY transporter that you are considering using!!!

I am not telling you to not use UShip, just "Buyer Beware!"

MANY MANY of the transporters on UShip are NOT DOT/FMCSA Compliant!!!

Ask potential transporters for their USDOT# and MC# (the MC# is REQUIRED to transport ANYTHING "For Hire" across state lines or 'interstate') If someone claims to be intRAstate, then they must have a state DOT# from that state and you will have to check that authority with that states DOT office.
Once you have these numbers go to www.safersys.org/companysnapshot.aspx and enter the number to pull up all of their information. Check that their authority is "Active" and that their name/location/etc. matches the info that you have on them already. If anything looks fishy (name doesnt match/ they said they are based in TN and safersys says Cali...) ask them to verify and use your best judgement.
In the top right corner of the page click on "Licensing & Insurance"
this will pull up a report on their insurance company and status, you can call the ins company and verify that they are covered for your type of cargo, also ask them to have THEIR INS AGENT fax an insurance certificate with YOUR name on it directly to you. Insurance companies do this free of charge.

If they are unwilling to do ANY of the above, I would reccommend not just walking the other way, but RUNNING! If you have any questions about transporting your goods, even if it is not something that I will be bidding on, etc. feel free to ask me, even if you just want help verifying if someone has the proper authority and insurance.

I have this warning posted on the front page of my website( www.kineticfreight.com ) as well as a link to my licensing and insurance status on safersys. Feel free to use my numbers to try out the safersys site if you would like.
USDOT: 1680208 MC-617460 TXDOT:6295987C

P.S. In the company profile on Safersys there should be at least a phone number listed. UShip is not FREE as advertised! So, if you find a transporter that you think you would like to use, or are just frustrated not being able to talk to them as UShip does not allow for direct contact, Call them directly and you will likely save a couple of bucks!!!

Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

kinetichotshot

In light of the recent purchases, I just wanted to put this back to the top of the recent post page. Be careful who you choose. I would hate to hear one of you mentioned in the next transport nightmare story.
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks