• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M44 Series Rocker Panel Replacements

Opie

I've searched 'till my fingers bleed and can't find the link to someone who makes replacement rocker panels. My M109 shop van has some pretty bad cancer below both doors and needs some fixin' before I want to commit to a paint job.

As an afterthought, how have you replaced the plate in the wheelwell that covers the channel which collects water and causes said rocker panel cancer?

No.2Diesel

I don't think anyone makes any repro patch panels/sections for Deuces/5ton at this time due to the availibility of parts trucks. I guess your only choices are to swap entire components or learn or pay to have the areas repaired. Maybe we'll bring the welder/generator to RC this year :wink:

I know what you mean about that wheel well rust. Sheet metal needs to be reinforced but should also drain moisture quickly.

Barrman

The rockers are super thin, but the metal under the cab backing up the rockers are 1/8" or maybe even 3/16" thick. Very thick and probably not rusted through.

My point is that you could cut the rockers out, not worry about the cab floor flexing or moving, tac weld in a piece of 14 gauge that is bent to go all the way to the door gussets on top and to the lip underneath. Then just grind all the welds smooth, paint it and nobody but you and anybody you show pictures to will know it was messed with.

Also, if you rockers are that bad, you can almost bet the area the front fender bolts to is the same. Pull the front fender and replace that metal too.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I believe Memphis Equipment made some repair panels at one time. They ran up the A-pillar a little bit and then across the rocker. Seeing that there aren't any compound bends in the panel, you should be able to cut it out and weld in new as Barrman suggested. If you don't have access to a welder, just drive on down to my place and we'll lay a bead with my Millermatic :) I have to do the same thing to my Dad's 756A2. Maybe I'll make some extra panels for SS members while I'm at it.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been there.... lots of pics and drawings too, to fab exact repro rocker panels, reinforcement channels and how to eliminate all that typical cab rust-cancer....!

Just a few samples here....
PM me if you want more info.

G.

Attachments

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Chris is correct - Memphis Equipment has these panels - I think in a couple of configurations.

Regards,
David

jasonjc

That looks nice. Great job.Can you do a wirte up on that?? Maybe you can sell the wirte up to MVM even.

I don't think some of the contractor primed be for they painted trucks and trailers. At least that is what I'm finding on some of my stuff.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Selling what? For me it is very clear that all that work only makes (some) sense if you live too far away from where good replacement cabs are still available.
I had to fix cabs that needed a complete new cowl, new floor, new rocker panels and of course fix the lower rear panel typical rust spots...!

On the other hand it's only a matter of time before even newer trucks will end up needing this level of TLC, so better be prepared.... Ohh! ... almost forgot KIA- and probably other potential after market suppliers- for cheapo body parts...!

For those of you who want to spend the time and effort, and/or have the right tools, here's a little drawing to help encourage building your parts yourself...

Enjoy!
G.

Attachments

jasonjc

gringeltaube said:
Been there.... lots of pics and drawings too, to fab exact repro rocker panels, reinforcement channels and how to eliminate all that typical cab rust-cancer....!

Just a few samples here....
PM me if you want more info.

G.
I like what you did. And think that alot of pepole would like to know and see more of the work you did. Alot of us would fix some rust spots before swaping a hole cab.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe devilman96 at ODIron has a sheet metal brake and has done work like this before. Perhaps we can convince him to start making these panels?

ah1955

gringeltaube very nice work. I had a local fab. shop shear and bend mine on mine the door sill was good and solid so I had a piece made for the front and the bottom then a half inch bend down with a flat piece to close the back in clamped everthing up and welded up. Used a piece 40"X7" for the rocker panal then let fly out off the front then cut to fit as welded in. Forget what size the pisce was up under the back was.
Did both sides so all four pieces cost total for metal and cut and bending 35.00 its alot of work but to me that is a part of having the truck to spend some time and stand back and admiare your work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks