• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Limped 3 of 4 trucks home on Monday...UGH!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a day! Took me a full 24 hours just to get the energy back to post pics. Good news is three of my four trucks are home. Bad news is...

Pulled an all-nighter Sunday night so I can leave early to pick up the new trucks. Older I get, the less my alarm will wake me up so if I need to leave at 0500 I have to be up ALL NIGHT in order to make it. Met with my buddy Rob, his friend's son Ryan, and Steel Soldier L1A1 (Matt) at 0630 to head up and pick up four trucks. Before the story starts, let me just say that these are trucks I previewed and checked, all fluids were good, brakes pressurized up and ran well. Nothing major wrong with them upon inspection, good trucks. One needed a jump to start during preview (dead batts), other than that, great.

Previous pickups took 6 hours total, start to finish, including driving there and back. This one I assumed would be the same. I told Matt we would get back in time for him to drive back home and go to work at 1500. Rob started a new job last week, has to be at work 1600. I have to be back by 1800 to pick my daughter up at day care. Just to let everyone know how important time is here.

Got to Chambersburg at 0900. Told by the gate person our trucks have been moved down the road 4 miles. Goto storage lot and our trucks are buried behind 2-3 rows of mostly non-running trucks that need to be pulled out of the way by other non-running trucks that were in the yard. Turns out GL organized all the trucks so that the running trucks were in the back, and the junkers were in the front. Waited patiently while the GL guy played musical chairs with the trucks. Until 1130 or so.

Got the first two trucks ready to go, and running like champs. Check all the fluids and everything was 100%. Truck number 3 was pulled out and cranked and cranked and cranked and died. Jumped it with a couple different trucks and it finally ran, but died after 2 minutes. Not sure why. Got it running again, and it died again after 2 minutes. We found our candidate for towing - thanks to n3uka for loaning a towbar. Found the 4th truck and it sparked like all getout trying to jump the truck. By this time it was near 1400 and we were told to leave - other customers had to loadout as well and we were taking up room. We decided, since we couldn't tow two trucks with one towbar, to leave the 4th truck and come back with two batteries and some new cables to see what was up. It was a runner, so it should run home fine.

Hooked up to towed truck, me driving and Matt riding shotgun, Ryan in the chase Durango, and Rob in the other runner. Pull 300 yards outta the gate and Rob runs out of fuel in downtown Chambersburg. Right near town square. Crap. Pushed him off the side, and went south on Rt. 11 to get a can of diesel. 15 miles south (it was the nearest place that had diesel). Sent the chase vehicle back north and waited for Rob to get back to where we were. Finally he catches up, and it's now 1500. Matt calls in late for work. I call a friend and have her pick my daughter up at daycare because I know I won't make the 1800 closing time.

At 1600 pull over at WV welcome station, to check things out. Top speed towing a deuce is 50mph, average is 43 or so, slowest is 35. Kids in car seats are flipping me off as they pass. Everything is good, so we convoy out again. Couple miles down the road, Rob isn't in the rear view. Matt and I assume he slacked back a bit. Travel some more miles, still no Rob. Near the VA border, the chase truck passes me, pulls me over, and tells me that Rob broke down just after the rest stop, brakes locked up. Crap crap. This was the truck that was mostly new parts, 37 miles on a new engine! And it's treating us like this? Called him on the cell and told him the I am sending the chase vehicle back to bring him home, it's getting late, I'm getting ticked and tired, and I lack the expertise to fix an unknown problem on the roadside like that. Told him we'll hire a wrecker to tow him the final 45 miles home. I went on my way and Ryan went back for Rob.

1720 arrived back at home base, running like a champ, ran cool and steady the whole way home. After I parked the truck/towed truck, got a call on my cell - Rob is limping the deuce home, and it's smoking from the rear hubs! "I thought I told you to leave it!" He says he goes 15 miles or so, it starts smoking, and he stops till it cools, and goes another 15. He was calling me from 15 miles up the road, when a fire engine pulls up since someone called and said a truck was burning. He told the fire guys he wasn't burning, just the brakes. Sigh. I said "leave it and come home in the chase vehicle". Nope, he decides to wing it and try to make the 15 miles home.

The bad news is he has so little mechanical expertise that he had trouble turning the light switch on. The worse news is that he expects me to fix the problem after I figure out what it is. Ryan and Rob said they thought the smoking was coming from the rear axle(s). But they weren't sure. In other words, it could be they left the ebrake on the whole way home, or the airpak is shot, or the wheel cylinders are shot. Until I pull all the hubs and see what's up, I have no clue what caused the smoking since they weren't sure where the smoke was coming from. THAT truck can sit and wait til I feel like playing with it.

He finally pulls in at 1900 and walks in the door smelling like a brake shop and says "man, that truck has POWER! Pulled 60 mph the whole way home!" In other words, I exceeded the max recommended rpms on the engine with something smoking behind me so badly the fire department was called, and I have no idea what it is, and BTW here - you fix it."

To round out the story, I picked up my daughter at 1930, got home, showered and get in bed before my daughter did, after being up for 36 hours. Man I hope every pickup isn't like this. We gotta go back next week and get the last truck, which I hope drives home without incident. With ME at the wheel, and not Mister Magoo.

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Mike

Great adventure. When you go back for that last truck, just take your good runner, and plan on towing the other.

Lee in Alaska

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you made it.
Sorry to hear about all the snags.
But, just more stories to one up the guys around the crackling fire come SS rally day.
At least the weather was good, right? :wink:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks man, looks like Murphy was on the east coast after visiting Lane on Monday, thanks for keeping him busy for me ;) congrats on the trucks, hope the forth goes well!

halftrack

Glad to see them going to a Steel Soldiers member. Sounds like a typically pick up for me. Times I thought I could drive them home I needed a flatbed. Times that I show up with a flatbed I could of driven them home. It always seems to work like that. Nice story though.

No.2Diesel

Wow 1917. Nice M813!!! I want to see that thing in October!

Glad you made it home Mike. You need to setup a driver orientation course for new guys! :D

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Archive that story in a journal somewhere! A lot of work on your part, but what an education for everyone. Thank you for your story!

Wow! The trucks look great! Good haul!

I've got to admit, I had to laugh at a few things. Maybe just your creative writing style. I don't like the kids giving you the finger. That urks me!

So, what was the final deal on the M-105 trailer in your truck? Did you install bows and cargo cover and "roll on big truck, roll on??"

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nah, the M105 trailer was in someone else's truck. We said to the guy when we were looking for our trucks in the pile, that if our deuces DID have a M105 in them , can we keep them? He said they made sure the M105s went in the beds of trucks that were bought by the same owner. Guess they at least did a little research to pair things up.

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I hope my stories help educate others of what NOT to do. :)

L1A1

MD308
Thanks for the invite I had a really good time despite all the mishaps :) and the cold :wink:. Some of the more memorable moments for me would have to be Rob running out of diesel in the middle of the road in down town Chambersburg and hearing MD308 over the roar of that turbo, tell me "I'm about to move three deuces with one" as he geared down and slowly pushed Rob's stalled out M35A2 out of the way and off the road while pulling the non running -err other non running M35A2 with us.

During the trip home, Mike would occationally signal/yell to me to see if Rob and or Ryan were still behind us and I'd start swiviling in my seat like a B17 copilot looking for boogies trying to use the tiny GI side view mirror (no west coast mirrors on our ride) or look through the rear window through the towed deuce's windshield,and out it's back canvas cargo cover to see if they were indeed still there. This was at first, not too hard to do afterall I just had to look for the large dark, lumbering mass with the 2 tiny head lights on or the little silver durango with lights and flashers on but as we progressed, we seem to have started a trend and everyone started turning on thier head lights (this was mid afternoon) making it harder and harder to figure out where or if they were still back there. In fact, I think I was still looking backwards when the chase vehicle pulled past us and over to the side of the road informing us that something had happened.

My personal observations about the M35 is this, when Rob's truck died in Chambersburg I was apprehensive about owning one. I'd had similar experiances with smaller MVs and with those, I could at least push them off the road and out of the way by myself if need be. There's no doing that with those bigger MVs.On the flip side, the truck MadDawg308 and I were in was the first truck we "recovered" from the GL. It started right up and ran like a champ that whole day -maybe it was the driver I don't know :wink: . My advice to anyone considering one of these fine beasts (or any MV) is "arm yourself with knoledge" and buy/ study the operator's manual! Heck, I don't even own an M35 and I'm thinking of buying an operator's manual for one!
Regards,
Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks