• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trans replacement

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
does anybody know if a 8 or 10 speed with overdrive will fit in a 809 series, i want to fix the holes between 3 and 4 and 4 and 5, it sure would help my 819 go down the road better

jollygreen6x6

Well, as you can see in my other posts, I am attempting to find out if an Eaton 13 speed will fit into my M-54, so keep up and you'll find out.

Knucklehead

A Fuller 9 speed roadranger will fit right in, and you will still use the stub drive shaft from the trans to transfer case. You will have to rig up a manual reverse air switch for the transfer case.

rizzo

Knucklehead said:
A Fuller 9 speed roadranger will fit right in, and you will still use the stub drive shaft from the trans to transfer case. You will have to rig up a manual reverse air switch for the transfer case.

If a roadranger fits some of the others whould fit too. Call Veley Truck parts in Grand rapids, MI they are pretty good with trans.

you will need to do something with the t-case air shifter. this tells the t-case what sprag to use (forward or reverse) depending on what gear your in ( F or R). for my gasser with auto trans I am going to put a switch under the dash (like the deuce)
no air to t-case = N
air in one direction = F
air going in other direction = R

alot of big truck trans have overdrive. they have a couple 10 speeds with OD. you can tell by the model # of the trans.

Knucklehead

The 9spd RR is the same length as the 5spd, but it is wider. it will fit right in place. A 13 spd is a lot longer, it will not fit in the stock location witout modification to the truck. A forward/reverse air switch for the transfer would be needed. It is operated off the shift tower on the stock tranny. The 9spd has a splitter on the shift knob so mounting it there will be crowded. Fuller transmissions have an alpha numeric identification, the last number is the number of speeds. I only talk about the 9spd because it fits and I have put one in.

rizzo

Knucklehead said:
The 9spd RR is the same length as the 5spd, but it is wider. it will fit right in place. A 13 spd is a lot longer, it will not fit in the stock location witout modification to the truck. A forward/reverse air switch for the transfer would be needed. It is operated off the shift tower on the stock tranny. The 9spd has a splitter on the shift knob so mounting it there will be crowded. Fuller transmissions have an alpha numeric identification, the last number is the number of speeds. I only talk about the 9spd because it fits and I have put one in.
I just talked to Valley Truck Parts in GR MI (616) 241-5431 the 10 speed is an inch longer than the 9 speed. the 9 speed overdrive has a B, R or P at the end of the model #. Valley sells rebuilt with 1 yr warranty for about $2000

i've posted this before but i have a 10 speed OD coming as soon as my friend pulls it. i am anxious to get the #'s to see what the OD ratio is. our XM818W/W needs more cogs real bad. maybe even a bigger eng. got a couple of real good 335's around but have not checked for fit.

Alredneck

Banned
Has anybody completed this swap yet? I have two 9spd Fullers I am looking into swapping into the M816 and either putting the other in my M814 build or a 13spd. What clutch is used with this swap. I understand the T-case air deal. Also did a tranny crossmember needed to be fabricated for the extra weight of the 9spd? Also which bellhousing you used. These fullers are hooked to 6V92 Detroits right now, one a dumper, the other a Brigadier tractor ( Navy tractor ) Was thinking of going to a 16-18spd in my tractor, it has 4.10s in the rears. 33k axles.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 9 speed will fill the holes that the 5 speed has. You will also be much busier in the cab, keeping the Cummins in the powerband. With the deep gearing that the rear axle has, 8th and 9th will need to be OD.

Alredneck

Banned
I have to get the numbers off the trans to see what gears are in it. I am running 49s to help with the gearing issue on the M814 and am looking at a set of 53s on the M816. I am hoping the extra gearing will help pull a load better. I have been researching pump mods, injectors and turbo swaps for the cummins as well. I know the 400C will swap over and read Jwallers thread on it but believe there are more options out there for us if we work at it!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Originally Posted by Knucklehead

I just talked to Valley Truck Parts in GR MI (616) 241-5431 the 10 speed is an inch longer than the 9 speed. the 9 speed overdrive has a B, R or P at the end of the model #. Valley sells rebuilt with 1 yr warranty for about $2000
Hey Knucklehead,
What is the actual model # on that 9-speed? My 818's going into the shop for a T-case upgrade and it would be the ideal time to drop a better trans in.
What about the clutch and the input shaft size and splines?
Is the output joint the same as the spicer?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks