• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ex military welder ?

hmburner

I work for a scrapyard and have to deal with hurtin units on occasion. This welder came in on the back of a pickup truck for sale as scrap. I bought it as 5 dollars copper content and 2 dollars dirty cast iron = 7 dollars. It came with a spare generator head and parts and the wisconsin V4 is free. I suspect it has magneto issues. It is a 200 Amp Lincoln welder painted in our favourite color green,why i suspect its ex military. Anyone have a use for it ? Anyone know anything about it ?

Bill

Attachments

scooter01922

Don't scap it. Even if no one here wants it i'm sure you could get a few 100 on ebay with that engine. I am rebuilding a VH4D (yours certainly looks like one but could be a VG4D) and have been watching ebay a lot for the past few months trying to find various parts as factory replacements are pricey. Seen several engines with known internal issues sell for 100-150 with the buyer responsable for shipping. If you can get it to run should be worth a few 100 more. Heck you could part it and pocket some $$$. Or ya can just send it my way...hows 14$ sound....just doubled your money :lol: :lol:
Oh, the VH4D i have is in an older New Holland skid steer, should be fun when it works. These wisconsin engines are so simple. Just like working on a big mower engine.

54reo

It is an early Lincoln SA-200.

There should be a serial number on it. Post the number here and I can find a year of manufacture from that.

Btw... I have one of the same vintage. They are FANTASTIC welders!

As far as if the military used them; I don't know, but it was probably the most popular machine of it's day. There is still a huge following for these Lincolns; more so for the later ones. The early hand start ones (like the one you have), are not as popular, but still desirable.

To answer the capabilities question, it would be a great machine for SMAW (stick), and although not my first choice for GTAW (tig), it would do that just fine.

hmburner

Welder

Had a customer look at the engine as replacement for his stump grinder,but said it was and early model and no use to him. I considered hooking the generator head to one of the two PTOs on my M135 but that would make me a commercial truck and i dont want to go there. Since today is a paid holiday in Canada (family day) i worked on the duece all day. Am posting the pics of todays progress. I know its in the wrong place but you asked. This is the company heated garage it is in ,but since im such a good maint. mech. none of our trucks are broke down and the garage is empty........In goes my duece ....hey hey. Installed hydro boost system,new brake lines and now fitting trans mount on my 353 Detroit today and just happened to have my digi cam with me

enjoy

Bill

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks