• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Temporary Travel Permit (tags) - In PA; Proper Procedure?

cr4x4cruiser

Anyone know IF Pennsylvania will provide Temporary Tags? I've been looking on their DMV site and haven't had much success.

'll have the Title & Insurance. Anything else? Or, will I end up dealing with my home sate for this issue?

Any/ all advise is appreciated.

Thanks,

- Wm.

papercu

temp

According to their website: "A temporary Pennsylvania registration plate may be issued only in those instances where the out-of-state title is submitted with a completed Form MV-1."
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/new_residents/motor_vehicle.shtml

Your location shows you are in Los Angeles are you moving or just wanting to get your truck from Pen to CA? If just picking up a truck and you have insurance and proof of ownership with something showing you have just picked it up, should be enought for most LEO unless you run over their foot or something. Wayne

cr4x4cruiser

P,

Thanks for the insight. For the life of me, I could not find that information.

Yes, I am in Los Angeles. We plan on picking it up, and bringing it back to L.A.

That is, unless we run into major problems. My dad lives just two hours away, in NY (Triple Cities).

If anyone is along Rt 81, from Pottsville, north to the NY border, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Just in case we could use a pitstop.

Again, thanks for the info.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in PA and had the same problem moving a duce from Mechanicsburg. They (DMV) told me I must get it inspected and titled before any plates will be issued. How you gonna do that? Can't drive it to an inspection station without a license and can't inspect it without a title! We ended up just driving it home, about 15 miles. I did get insurance though. Seems no one will pay much attention to a military vehicle if you wear a green t-shirt.

cr4x4cruiser

I hope this trip doesn't turn out to be, "Damned if you do, damned if you don't".

I'll have the insurance. I'm waiting for the documentation from GSA right now - which appears to process much quicker than GL.

Since I am driving back to Cali (or, even, NY) - and live in CA - I would expect a little leeway. No matter, that truck is getting moved. But, I sure don't care to flatbed that thing over 100 miles, which is what I will have to do if the DMV yanks my chains.

Of course, if anybody has a rig that is ready - with a towbar - feel free to give me a yell.

I plan on being in PA/NY by Monday, 25FEB08. That is, unless my car dies before I get there (taking a car to NY, to sell it).

By the way, does anybody have some wool underwear they care to lend me...

Blood_of_Tyrants

It is going to cost you more than $1000 just in fuel, add in airline tickets, motels, parts, problems, tow bills, food, time away from work, etc and you are easily looking at $2000 to $2500. You sure you can't find someone to haul it for you?

papercu

travel

have some wool underwear they care to lend me...
As long as the engine is running you won't need them. Cranetruck came to my place in the middle of winter (South GA) and didn't even need the top on his truck. Wayne

cr4x4cruiser

Costs involved? Well, I can't argue that the fuel bill will be up there, but the rest of it should not be.

1) We're doing a road-trip back east. The car we bring back will be sold there. Non-stop trip; driving straight through.

2) Hotels? None. Staying at my family home, and my brother's. Maybe a night or two on the road - bringing it back. Even then, I prefer to sleep in my truck.

3) Time away from work; currently in a semi-retired state. My schedule is very flexible.

4) Airline ticket? Just one, for her (under $200, by the way). But we would do that anyways, if we were visiting back east.

5) Food? As long as I avoid that Jerky ($20/#) at truck stops, I'll do just fine.

6) Repairs? Well, the truck has just 11K on it. Sure, things can go wrong. But, I am going to use this truck - so no time like the present to find out any issues.

7) Adventure; I like driving across the U.S.

*** Alternative; If the truck isn't sorted-out, when we get it back to NY, then I have a place to store it. We'll get it dealt with, and do a road-trip another day. Either way, it's coming back to L.A.

Call me insane, but I like to drive...

Note; Anybody have a set of used headlights and signals? Maybe a set off of an old plow truck. Yes, it seems that they pulled the bumper off of it - along with those two, important, items.

Attachments

Blood_of_Tyrants

Well, bring along plenty of tools and common parts and a credit card. I'll pray that your trip is nothing but boring.

Also, before you drive a truck not meant for the long haul 2000+ miles, consider locating and installing a springer seat from an old OTR truck. Your butt and back will thank you many times over.

cr4x4cruiser

Well,

We've moved up the date of the road-trip. We start moving out by 1000hrs, today (20FEB08).

Should roll in to PA by Friday, and hope to check out the rig the same day. The site mgr. seems to be very cordial and flexible.

I, also, hope this trip will be boring.

- Wm.

cr4x4cruiser

Guys,

Thanks for the great information! I just got my Receipt from GSA, and am out the door.

Leaving Los Angeles on a very dreary, wet, morning. The car is packed, we have coffee and fuel - see ya!

08:44pst

Finally, something appears to be going my way. I know what you mean about your own state DMV. Mine, has me going to the CHP - since some scumbag stole the rear plate and tags. Apparently, they don't believe too many folks when this happens.

My Landcruiser FJ60 just got back on the road. So, since it's been less than 90 days, the CHP has to verify my VIN. No, you don't just drive up. Instead, you have to shcedula an appointment.

One more reason to say it's not so hard to leave L.A. (and California). If I'm going to have to speak Spanish, then I might as well enjoy it - somewhere where the politicians don't talk out both sides pof their mouths (sorry, got on my soapbox).

Again, thanks for everything!

William

sweetk30

sounds like a cool trip. i am on i86/rt17 on ny/pa border. at 14845 zip code. i work auto mechanics and have heavy truck shop at my work. or lots of friends with tools and info on these bigger trucks.

cr4x4cruiser

Too Ambitious, Too Simple-Minded

Monday, 25Feb08 (1948hrs/est):

Well, I certainly bit off more than I could chew...

The trip started in the rain on Wed in the AM, and ended in a snowstorm on Friday in the PM. In between we had wet snow (Arizona), freezing rain (Texas & Oklahoma), fog & rain (Arkansas).

Got to see the rig on Friday afternoon. Was able to ascertain exactly what the chassis is.

1983 International 1854 4x4 170"wb. DTI-466B Turbo Diesel. MT-643 Allison Auto. 15x22.5's all around. Less than 12K miles. Service bed is 8'W x 12'L - w/ two large (1'D) steps off the back. The front frame-horns stick out another 2'. Seats three in the cab, and two more alongside the engine housing out back.

Went on up to NY, and crashed on my Dad's sofa. Took the weekend to unwind and track down some assistance.

GVRW = 27,320; requires CDL, in CA., of which I do not possess.
Registration, in CA: = $800 (+/-) - which would be for only a few months.
Gearing; great for off-road, but very challenged at highway speeds (which means a looooong trip to CA).

Other issues;

Insurance = $180 (down payment) - new - separate - policy, since it's "Commercial".
"In-Transit Plate" quote, from Notary in PA = $120.
Batteries = $110ea x 2 (new). But, will get two, new, "blems" for $110 (total). > Group 31/ 925CCA <
Headlights/ signals = $180...
Bumper = ??? (stopped asking)...

Will have it put on a lowboy, and hauled up to my friend's home in NY.

Cost? Less than $600.

Sometimes, I just have to try and do it the HARD WAY. It's been a learning experience, to say the least. The trip was worth it, since I get to spend over a week with my (elderly) dad.

My friend (30-yr diesel mechanic) says it's worth every penny I have spent (and wasted). I won't chamge anything on the rig, except the fluids. It is just as I need it to be outfitted. Except for, maybe, a big winch...

Truly, the only heavy expense will be new tires - which I expected. We'll keep it in NY, until we are ready to go to CR. Then. we'll take it to NJ, and put it on a ship.

Our roadtrip back West will be a bit more relaxed. Maybe a four day trip, instead of 52 hours...

p.s. (thanks for all of the support and offers of assistance)

- Wm.

cr4x4cruiser

Update; A Trip Through A Cold Day In Hell

Well, we're back in Los Angeles. This trip did not go according to plan. While we now have the truck safely stored, it took some time to accomplish.

First, I became sick as a dog for several days. Had I not had family in that part of the woods I would have ended up up in the hospital. Seriously, I was down for the count - for a solid three days. Probably because I chose not to get a decent amount of rest on my road-trip back east.

As well, the company (I've known since childhood) chose to make this a dedicated run - instead of a haul-back on another run. This raised the price to over $600. 250 miles round-trip. Maybe it wasn't so bad, but it would have been nice if they attempted to keep my costs down. But, knowing the guy that is in charge of the runs, I should have known better (he never did things as quickly as possible). The previous two days they had runs down into PA that were only 90 miles away...

Forget the idea of having Temporary Tags. The Notary demanded that GSA (actually me) provide a "Notarized" copy of the Title before they would issue any tags. I would not have the Title until I got back to L.A. Also, the cost quoted was $120 - for a thirty-day tag.

Did I mention the weather? I brought more damn snow with me, than they had seen all winter. From Friday when I arrived until the day I left (1-1/2 weeks later) it snowed everyday. Cold, blowing, snow. Every day. Every night. Having not been in such for decades, it was an experience. !@#$%^&*!!!

However, it was all worth it when we retrieved the truck. It took us all of twenty minutes to fire that baby up. Those batteries were not quite up to the task. But the guy they sent to allow us entry had a nice Ford V-10 to help add some juice to the mix.

What a beautiful sound; DT-466... Turbo... Injection...

... Sweet Jesus!

Would I do it again? Probably. But I would elect to do it in a season that was a bit more hospitable.

Some notes on my travels;

1) What happened to truckers being kept in check by the Highway Patrol? These guys are driving like they are hell-bent for leather. Texas and Oklahoma were two huge ice-skating rinks. Freezing rain non-stop. I never saw so many Semis wrecked in all of my life. One civilian car, and at least two dozen destroyed tractor-trailers.

2) Fuel prices; it seems as if state taxes have nothing to do with pricing these days. All allong I-40 the prices were within 5 cents of each other. Something I have never - ever - seen before. I expected some cheap prices in TX and OK, but that was a joke. They were the same as CA.

3) If you are driving 75, you better be checking your rear-view mirror - constantly.

4) "Murphy's Law" is real. Especially when you are far from home.

5) I'm not as young as I thought I was.

6) I got a "steal of a deal".

All in all it was worth it. We're still trying to track down the manual for this chassis. Even thought it is an International Harvester 1854, it is a tad unusual. We'll find it eventually.

We'll get the following; bumper, windshield, lights, tie-rod, and get the front driveshaft reattached. Then, a new set of tires (15x22). We might get this beast on the road sooner than later.

Only one other thing, though. The chassis specs say that it can max out at 27,320 pounds. Which is over the limit for a non-CDL in CA. However, the title does not specify such.

Somehow, someway, we'll get it done...

... even if it means I have to make another road-trip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks