• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trip to Chambersburg 2/19 to get last deuce

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had one last truck up in Chambersburg PA to pick up, a 1972 AMG (from what DDoyle says, GL says its a Reo, I trust David) winch truck, non-turbo hardtop. This one ran like a top, but needed a jump. Rather than ensure the hell that happened last week, we took the strongest runner north with a towbar, and towed her home, rather than attempt to start her there and drive back. Went perfectly.

Here's some pics of the recovery. This will be the last one for a while, the yard is getting full.

Attachments

TheBuggyman

Mad,

I saw your truck when I went up to get mine, that is a fine looking vehicle! The guy at the yard was telling me that you picked up the other three and left this one and I knew exactly who he was talking about!

Good luck with her, I wish it was mine!

HeadWizard

Hey Mike-

I was supposed to be up in Chambersburg today to help a guy I hired to pick up the 3 "Race Tow Tugs" I won on a sealed bid sale. Did you happen to see or meet the guy with the Ford Dually and gooseneck trailer?

They weren't able to tow out all 3 because the estimated weight was 2000 lbs off, each. I'm gonna have to take my trailer up and get the 3rd one.

For anyone who needs something moved, this guy, Logan was GREAT! Reasonable prices, lots of patience with GL site stupidity and really nice! Found him on USHIP, name of the company is Hilltop Trucking and his direct number is (570) 506-6591. He has hauled Deuces for several people.

DB out.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, HW - didn't bump into him. Only guys I saw there today were a tow truck driver who was hauling a deuce home as well, and Justin who ran the GL lot.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Duece

Mike,
I wonder if your extra "sway" was caused by pulling a winch truck (higher bumper). Since the bumper sits up higher, the tow vehicle will have "wanted" :D to pull down on the winch truck's bumper (since the pintle on the tow truck is lower than the bumper on the winch truck). Anyway, this is speculation. I am sure that one of the engineers on the list will post to show how rediculous my hypothesis is!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Duece

BKubu said:
Mike,
I wonder if your extra "sway" was caused by pulling a winch truck (higher bumper). Since the bumper sits up higher, the tow vehicle will have "wanted" :D to pull down on the winch truck's bumper (since the pintle on the tow truck is lower than the bumper on the winch truck). Anyway, this is speculation. I am sure that one of the engineers on the list will post to show how rediculous my hypothesis is!
Actually, that makes sense. I wonder if that could have been minimized by extending the towbar - all my pulls home so far have been with the towbar in it's most "closed" form. Will remember this theory next time and check it out more...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks