• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying to bob on a budget

k72516

So there's this place that sells M813's for $5,500 bucks a pop. They're 5 tons, and get about 4-5mpg... If I was to buy one I'd want to be bobbing it and selling parts off it and such, and maybe even swap motors.

First off, if I were to buy it, do you think I'd have problems selling the 5 ton axles? How about the drop side bed? The engine? How much do you think I could get for the parts?

I'm trying to see if I can get the total cost back down to about $3,500-$4,000.

And second, with chopping off a rear axle and bed (and any other dangly bits), motor swap (thinking Dodge diesel, since most have done it here and the mounts line up?), and possibly switch to 2.5 ton regeared axles, do you think I could bring the mpg back up to 12-14 like you guys get in the M35?

It's really hard to find an M35 up here... This is my last shot at trying to get a decent one. I saw a guy right in town with a deuce filling up. It totally inspired me to run to Maine and buy one pronto. LoL

Desert Rat

Josh,
My Dad lives about 40 minutes away from this place. He could scope out the trucks for you and help save you some time. Just a thought. He lives near Wext Buxton, ME. BTW, if you don't want the Cummins engine I have some ideas.....................

k72516

Thanks for the offer and all, but I was looking foward to making a road trip out of it if I do end up going there =] lol

rdixiemiller

There was a nice looking deuce on E-Bay this week, went for less than $3000. It was here in Ga., nice road trip!
Seriously, titles are easy here in Ga. Mine was $18. Tag $20. Insurance less than $200/year. Look for one that an individual has owned for a while, and has registered in his state of residence. You can transfer an out of state title easier than getting a SF97 approved in some states.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I dont think the market for 5 ton axles is as big as for 2.5 ton axles. The 5 tons are just too big and heavy to swap into a jeep, unlike the 2.5 tons. I'd bet you might be able to get 300-500 bucks for a 5 ton axle. Seems like alot of work to take out that 855 cubic inch cummins just to swap a smaller engine in. IMO I think you would be better off financially, time wise, and alot less busted knuckles starting off with an M35 and bobbing it and being able to get 10 mpg with the stock mutifuel. But if you've got the money to burn and time to do it, then go for it!

Monster Man

Devin is right there- the only market you have is to deuce owners and bigger. I've been curious about swapping to 5 ton axles, but the 2.5 tons are plenty. Now, if I swapped on 16R 20's it would be another story :)

The other thing that may kill your plan is shipping- make sure you have a large local market, because shipping has killed half the deals I've set up. Buy 10 tires for $50 a piece, costs $300 in shipping! Pickups are the only way to go for most, keep that in mind

also keep in mind the need for a CDL, even if you do cut out one of the axlews. The 5 ton GVWR is too high for a standard license. Also, if you bob a deuce down and elimnate all that weight, there should really be no reason for 5 ton axles other than looks, and the 5 ton has a longer frontend for less maneuverability. That's just my opinion. Good luck in your search

JasonS

I don't know what your state is like but here in SD, you can set the GVW at whatever you want. That would enable you to license it below CDL requirements.

rdixiemiller

Look at this truck on E-Bay. I thought it had already sold. This would be a really nice first truck, by the look of it. Already has a Ga. title as well.
I am not in anyway connected to the seller, just looks like a nice deal.
If you bought it, you could catch an Airtran flight down and drive it home!!!
How's that for a first deuce road trip!!!
Seriously, if you buy something like this in this part of the world, drop me a line. there are several members in Ga., I think most of us would be glad to help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks