• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC51 vs WC62 or M37 Future project

L1A1

Fellows -or Dodgemen!( if you prefer)
My M151A1 restoration project is nearing completion and I'm starting to look around for another project. The MV I did before this current one, was a '44 WC51 and that was a 5 year frame off total resto. around the same time I was doing the WC51, I was also working on a '43 WC62 which I sold to fund the completion of the WC51. I originally owned a 1951 M37 that was unrestored, running and would have been an ex candidate for restoration but, I traded it for the WC51 and some cash.

I've posted the above to give the reader an idea of my MV experiance and that I've also owned these fine trucks and am aware of their foibles. What I want to know is which one you would do and why.

I like the practicality of the M37, and the classic styling of the WC51. There's something cool about the WC62 mostly because it's a small 6X6 (well, compared to an M35 or 5 ton) and that's the one truck that I never got running/ finished (sold it before it was completed) so to me it's sort of the "one that got away." It has a smooth ride (so I've been told) and a longer bed it also has the turning radius of the Queen Mary.
Matt

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd go with an M37, myself. Better availability of parts, and more of a chance that you'd use it as a daily driver. Most WWII vehicles I have seen restored make it to shows, but are essentially trailer queens that never really get used. You'll be more happy with something you use often.

L1A1

MD
It's kind of funny I never took my WC51 to shows, I used to drive it around locally quite a bit though. Thanks for your input.
Matt

TedG

Well lets see. If it was me deciding this, I would look at all of these trucks that are available to purchase first. Then I would compare them base upon condition, completion and amount of extra parts that go with either vehicle. If you go for ease of restoration, the M37 can be done nicely and parts are easy to get while a WC62 has a few components that are hard to find (tail gate comes to mind). Do you want to drive it or tow it or sell it when finished?

Good luck in your search!

Regards,

L1A1

TedG
You make some good points. In regards to condition, all three trucks are resto candidates (not running) with the WC62 being the easiest of the three to get running (complete drive line and was probably the most resantly run) All three trucks are missing something but most of the hard to get parts are there (for example the bed on both of the WCs). I would have to say that the WC51 has the nicest body of all three with everything being there (beed, running boards, cab/ windshield frame not rotted out. I haven't seen the M37 yet I know it was torn down for resto by the previous owner, but that's all I know about it.

Personaly guys I have no plans to tow it to shows to have all the "experts" argue over the shade of OD it's painted or what the correct type washer was used where. I had somebody call me once and tell me that the hood # on my WC51 was wrong When I told them that the # came from the truck's original data plate they became rather quiet. My plans are to use the Dodge as a local runabout.
Matt

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always thought the WC62 was very interesting. if you were driving it around some, it would sure be impressive. After seeing a couple, I thought the T-case in the M37 could be used to run a second rear drive line. I have an M37 for a work truck that is retired to the ranch. Its a perfect application.

I think you could drive a Fire Engine through Town, & it would be less conspicious, then the WC62. I guess that would be my vote!

Lee in Alaska

L1A1

Lee
The only real "down side" to the WC62 that I can see (and the reason I got rid of mine in the first place) is with it's 3 axles. What I mean is for everything you buy (axle related :tires, gear ratios, disc brake kits) for the 4X4s you have to 1 and 1/2 times because of that third axle. Understand?
Matt

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i would go for the wv62, it is rarer truck, a fun truck to drive, if it is to be a daily driver i would update the moter and a few other things, in the late fifftys i learned to drive stick on a 44 wc61, on the MV timeline this made it almost NEW. if i could find one in decent shape i would try to get it

L1A1

73m819
Is the WC61 the "knock down" ambulance (looks like a weapons carrier)? My first MV driving experiance was with an M37. It didn't have a rear pumpkin so it was front wheel drive only and the windshield glass was broken so we folded the windshield frame down and drove it "low profile." driving it lo-pro was so much fun it is probably the reason why to date whenever I can I'll remove all the canvas and fold the windshield down and drive like that.

As it looks right now, the M37 is the least expensive to buy with the WC62 being the most expensive and the WC51 is right in the middle of the bunch.
Matt

L1A1

73m819 said:
a wc61 is the same as a wc62 only NO winch
73M819
The WC62 is the non winch 1.5 ton Dodge 6X6. It's the WC63 that is the winch equipped 6X6 variant of the 1.5 ton Dodge WC series trucks.

Still pretty cool though learning to drive stick with one of those trucks 8) !
Matt

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
sorry im one number off , but those who know me will tell you that im doing good only being one number off , there is many a day that im off a bunch :oops:

FrankUSMC

L1A1
You are right on the WC63 being the winch model and the WC62 being the non winch model.
On your post above on the hood number, the hood number is not on the data plates. That number is given to the vehicle by the military. It is put on at the factory, but has nothing to do with the vehicle number the data plate.
If you come across a WWII Dodge, very lighty sand the hood to find the hood numbers. I have owned a WC51, a WC55, WC53, 2x WC54s, and 2 WC63s. Out of all these Dodges, I only found the hood number on one. All the rest, the hoods had been sand blasted, or sanded down by the old owners forever hiding the hood number.
The WC63 I have now, that needs complete rebuild......again, was used by my friend for years as a off the road wreaker. It was a great truck!!
I would say go with the WC62 or WC63.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
PS, down the road from you in North Carolina, if you want to come down and check out the collection.

yorkgulch2

I like the wc62, as mentioned above it is the rarest and looks the coolest with the 6x6 set up. I have one in the yard I am collecting parts for. Midwest military has most parts for it and most are the same as wc51, and wc52. The bed parts are the hardest to find. I think the bed, steering box, correctly numbered engine block 223??, centered rear axle, and transfer case are unique to the wc62 and 63. The transfer case may be the same as the m37.
My neighbor Bryan who posts here occasionally did a great very factory looking m37 with wc63 6x6 running gear. I don't know which frametransfercase and he used.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks