• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Surplus Tach wiring help

badgmc56

Looks to me that - signal terminal is hooked up to the negative side of the coil. Where did you find it? I have been looking for a 24 volt tach myself. My gasser has a reb- shift kit and a tach would be very helpful in shifting.

Barrman

Great, thanks!

Umm, that means it is a V8 diesel tach and probably not going to work on my I6 Gasser. I will look it up and see if I can even hook it up. If I can get a reading, then I will worry about accuracy.

Lets see, a V8 sends 4 pulses per crankshaft revolution while a 6 sends 3 pulses per rev. Which will make the tach 25% slow, right? It will match the 12% slow speedo. I need to make up little placards like airplanes have next to the compass and air speed indicators showing the conversions to make them accurate. I will be so busy doing math in my head, I will never get bored while driving.

aboonski

I recently bought one just like Barrman has on Ebay - NOS. When you look at the wiring schematic for the Humvee, there are six (6) terminals on the Hummer tach vs. four (4) for the tach we have. Also, I have been told the Humvee tach has a black indicator needle where mine is red. The lamp wiring is separate from the screw terminals and is merely a red & black wire that attaches to the lamp itself. The person I bought the tach from indicated it might fit an LMTV dump truck? What is that? I think the wiring for this is quite simple requiring a pulse generator from a 6.2 Humvee motor; unfortunately if I install that in my CUCV I will not have a vacuum pump to shift my transmission. I know I posted pictures on other threads but wanted people to know that the person I bought mine from has others and is also a member of Steel Soldiers. His user name is aarron81. I was happy to have seen this thread because of the photo with the wiring sticker on the back. Mine was covered up with the mounting bracket - when I pulled that off, I got to see the wiring order for the first time.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks