• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151's at Chambersburg Today

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that's right M-151's. Went to Chambersburg today for a trailer and there sit two M151's in desert tan. No tops but it doesn't matter as they are going to be scrapped. I asked where they came from but no one I talked to knew. I could not go over to them to take pictures as they are in a secure area along with several stripped HUMVEE's that are also going to be scrapped. The GL guy on site said everyone wants them but due to safety and security, they can not be sold. Shame!
Maybe someone can get a picture from a distance.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M151

It used to be that M151s could be cut into four pieces and you get the parts. Then it was you could pull any parts off your wanted, but had to leave the body. Have they been relegated to scrap altogether? Can't even pull the parts off?

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess not. The DRMO gal said they will be cut for scrap. I am just surprised to see them. I thought all were gone many years ago. About 3 years ago there was an M37 out there also but just a hulk on wheels. Surprises never end.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I talked to the head chief at Chambersburg about these vehicles last Feb. At that time he was attempting to find a museum to take the vehicles but was not having any success. The only reason they are still there is the reluctance of the DRMO chief to destroy them. Regardless, I sure he is not about to loose his job by somehow selling them. Guess that after a year he still has not succeded in finding a museum to take them.

nattieleather

I got a 151a2 out of FT. Drum about 8 years ago and at that time I pulled all the parts and then cut the body into many pieces, plus cut the suspensions and axle shafts. Then loaded everything into my F250 and a M105 trailer and hauled it home. But that was pre GL days so who knows what the demil requirement is today.

surpdlr

Re: RE: M151

maddawg308 said:
It used to be that M151s could be cut into four pieces and you get the parts. Then it was you could pull any parts off your wanted, but had to leave the body. Have they been relegated to scrap altogether? Can't even pull the parts off?
Unless it has changed again this is the Demil history of the M151:

INTACT BUT UNSERVICABLE SOLD TILL 4 FEB 1970
INTACT BUT SERVICABLE SOLD TILL 4 FEB 1973
1/2 CUT BEGINS 5 FEB 1973 ENDS 8 APR 1981
1/4 CUT BEGINS 9 APR 1981??? PREFER CRUSH
1/4 CUT TO DATE IF CRUSH IS NOT AVAILABLE

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
uglyrangers pictures

The two I saw were in great shape, not the ones in the picture above. Also, in desert tan which I found strange.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They've been there for a long time. I have pictures of them somewhere. As well as the armor that was next to them. We actually got inside one of the APC's. This was right before christmas. I'm sure the DRMO guys saw us, but they didn't care. Don't have pictures of the inside of the armor. You can sort of see the armor in some of the shots of the M151s below.

Regards,

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are not armor behind the jeeps. Tracks, yes. but the M548s are unarmored cargo carriers. Hope a fire department gets those - they love them as all-terrain brush fighting rigs.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, to the sides of the M548s. There were three of them. In the first photo, look beyond the M548s.

They had these weird "towers" on top on both sides that housed a metal sphere with protruding pipes. What are those?

JeepMan

Nice 151's !!
There is a huge M151 site thats based over in England. Perhaps someone can arrange to send these pics to the site to be posted. The site is huge and the pages of M151's go on forever!!
Now as far as these jeeps are concerned. Perhaps someone could put them between two pieces of bread and stash them in thier lunchbox !!
Would be nice if they were to go to a museum. Perhaps the Oridence Museum in Aberdeen would inventory one or two.

nattieleather

The last demil that I had to do which was in 2000 said that the vehilce had to be crushed or mutilated beyond being able to be repaired or put back into service. Since I had no way to crush I used a chop saw and cut it all up. But did it in a way that the pannels could be used to fix and repair other mutts.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
medlog said:
I talked to the head chief at Chambersburg about these vehicles last Feb. At that time he was attempting to find a museum to take the vehicles but was not having any success. The only reason they are still there is the reluctance of the DRMO chief to destroy them. Regardless, I sure he is not about to loose his job by somehow selling them. Guess that after a year he still has not succeded in finding a museum to take them.
Sounds like it's time for me to start a museum :wink: . Lord knows I have enough junk laying around for one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks