• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can anyone ID this truck?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both of those trucks are pretty schweet. Too bad most police agencies sell those surplus.

I like the armored cupola idea on the Ford. Wonder if they also utilize runflat tire inserts on them...

davidkroberts

its a lenko bearcat. its mainly used as a swat vehicle and its based on the ford chassis used for ambulances and such. Really crappy suspension system, great turret. Medium Armor but still better than a hummer. We use them in Iraq, not perfect but reasonably practical. Air conditioner cant keep up with the 145 degree iraqi summer and could use a few more inches of ground clearance.

dave in tenn

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goofy or not, the grey thing, aka Cadillac Gage Peacekeeper, was a production vehicle. Mainly used by the USAF for airbase security, it was built on a Dodge pickup chassis. The Lenco is the same basic concept, just newer and bigger and on a Ford chassis. Neither has much real off road ability.
I wouldn't go to war in one, but they make good SWAT vehicles, armoured enough for what most civilians can throw at them and able to go where they need to.

Odd side note- When the Peacekeepers were received from the AF, they were green. Some folks complained about the police driving 'military armoured vehicles', too aggressive and all that. So APD painted them grey and put Tactical Rescue Vehicle on the side. All better now, "It's not for aggression ma'am, it's so they can rescue your cat while under fire". "Oh, for rescue? Thank you kind cop!".
But, bought new from the factory, what colour is the new Lenco? The same green as before. Sigh....

SGTLong35

It might also be a variant of the new Oshkosh built MRAP. Just check out their website... It has more info.

Opie

davidkroberts said:
its based on the ford chassis used for ambulances and such. Really crappy suspension system, great turret.
dave in tenn
Amen on ambulance suspensions!

Perhaps I could get my patients to the hospital faster if we has a turret on the ambulance, though...the flashing red lights don't seem to work so well.

From the vehicle markings, what does a TAWS do? :lol: (This from an ECNALUBMA driver...)

saddamsnightmare

March 23rd., 2008.

Minuteman Missile National Historical Site up in South Dakota has two of the peacekeepers to go along with the training ICBM we have in the silo there..... They may look funky, but they could really mess up a civillian intruder's day.... The Lenz bearcat looks no better built and just as likely to get into trouble off road. If we're going NWO, I would suggest the Mowag EAGLE of the Swiss Army as an better chassis to start with or an uparmored UNIMOG....

Just my 2cents worth.

With Great Regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce
""??"" Johnson MFG.Co. M105A2 1-1/2 Ton Trailer, Cargo, in MERDC or NATO 4 color Woodland Scheme
1963 Swiss Army Mercedes Benz Unimog Cargo Truck, S404/114 NATO Green. rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks