• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reactive Armor CUCV

maxim

While passing through Georgia on the way back from the Florida Rally, we encountered this Military convoy with the ussual Hummv's and such and of course we are rubber necking. Well from the rear comes this CUCV with what appeared to have reactive armor and bullet proof windows and a roof hatch. The truck was coming at us fast so to the camera out and fire it up to get the shot was a bit tricky and GympyRob was trying to get a shot too so his big mitts were in the way but close examination will give you an idea. It was just there and gone again. We conversed on the fact it wouild make an intersting build up for someone with a CUCV and looking for a different twist on things. And, has anybody else seen one of these??

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's new. Never seen something like that before. It's definitely a mod, not something that came from the factory that way. And from what the paint job suggests, definitely going overseas to sandier climates.

Anyone know of a contract that someone had to mod these CUCVs?

citizensoldier

What does the side say? Caution something risk Do not exceed something MPH ? I sure would like to here the story on these.. They had 3 or 4 in the convoy and many HUMMV's with 50 cals and turrets.. Alos think they had a FMTV.. Trying to remember..

Melvinitis

You all are over thinking this. Some times they do not have enough up armoured Humvees so they mod some CUCV so they are the same width, lenght height and blind spots to train convoy driving on hardball roads.

That is all steel that is hollow. Look close at the side view and you can see there is no glass, in the new frame, that is to give the driver a similar blind spot for training.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
It is definately not reactive armor. Reactive armor is a composition explosive designed to detonate when a shaped charge weapon hits and is strictly designed to deflect the plasma cutting cabablity of the HEAT warhead. When it is used on Bradley Fighting Vehicles the minimum safe distance for exposed Soldiers is way over 100 feet.

My thought is that the pods are some type of energy absorbing material rather than a reactive armor.

ida34

I would say the armor can't weigh too much based on the way it is riding. They really do not have much of a capacity.

Melvinitis

It is a drill weekend, I have had a dozen guys who have been mobilized look at it and they all have said they have seen them like that as TRAINERS... it is for training, it is not armor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks