• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of a stripper!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah baby! Take off your CARC!

tjcouch

Hmmmmm . . . . road trip to Atlanta!

I'll never have the time, expertise, or money to do a full restoration on the truck . . . . but I'll do what I can, as I can. . . . . . at least it keeps me from roaming the streets.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TJ, you might want to use more protection as you do this. The chemicals in CARC can be absorbed through your skin. Even as a solid(dust). Here's a link with some info. http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/carc_paint_ii/carc_paint_ii_s03.htm

If you do a google search for"can polyurethane paint be absorbed by skin" you can find much more info. Or search ,CARC removal. Of course, I'm assuming your truck had/has CARC paint on it.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:shock:

Not hard to see why there are no dollar bills tucked into your outfit!

Nice truck! But, the "stripper" gets a, Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

:p

tjcouch

doghead said:
TJ, you might want to use more protection as you do this. The chemicals in CARC can be absorbed through your skin. Even as a solid(dust). Here's a link with some info. http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/carc_paint_ii/carc_paint_ii_s03.htm

If you do a google search for"can polyurethane paint be absorbed by skin" you can find much more info. Or search ,CARC removal. Of course, I'm assuming your truck had/has CARC paint on it.

Eeeek! Good tip, thanks!

(How would I know if it is CARC?)

way to go! Have the same behind me now, thank god.
Did you uncover any hidden markings? I found some interesting under the paint on the bumperettes, above them, and out- and inside the doors, as well as the hood. Might tell something about the whereabouts of the truck.

Keep it up!
Mark

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
(How would I know if it is CARC?)
One way to tell would be to rub an area with a rag wet with lacquer thinner, vigorously. If it removes the paint, it probably is not CARC(CARC is impervious to most solvents). CARC is pretty rough(gritty or sandy) textured and does not reflect light well. Most of the trucks were not originally painted with CARC, it was used to repaint them sometime in the 80's(I think). Even if it's not CARC, it's probably a good idea to cover yourself as much as possible and use a quality respirator with cartridges suitable for paint removal(ask a local body shop or paint retailer for recommendations).

Here's a link to a page with a lot of information on CARC, it has a bunch of good links in it too. http://carc.odgreen.net/

badgmc56

Man, that's doing it the hard way. For about 300.00 bucks you could by a blaster and media and be done with the whole bed in a few hours. After your done with your truck you can make back the money for the blaster by doing stuff for other people. Thats how I paid for my blasting equipment. But if a sander is all you got, you can do it that way too. Truck is looking good. Love the way they look after a good stripping and fresh paint.

Blood_of_Tyrants

You would need a pretty large air compressor to blast away the sand so it wouldn't take a month. Also, when you use a sanblaster, you WILL get the blast media in parts of your body that you had forgotten you have.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Blood_of_Tyrants said:
You would need a pretty large air compressor to blast away the sand so it wouldn't take a month. Also, when you use a sanblaster, you WILL get the blast media in parts of your body that you had forgotten you have.
rofl

Spoken like a man with experience!!!!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks