• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gas tank questions

deuceman51

What are the gas tanks on the m211 made of? Is it stainless steel or just galvanized steel? I have a small hole that I need to weld shut and need to know what it is for sure. How have you guys cleaned your tanks out? mine has light rust from old varnished gas in it. I've cleaned twice with muratic acid and was wondering if that is enough or do I need to line the tank or treat with something to prevent further rusting? Thanks.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My tanks were all galvanized steel. I have welded a lot of cleaned tanks with no problem, but there is always a risk factor. My method is to have an air hose in the tank blowing in a good amount of air as I weld. This prevents there being enough concentration of fumes at any one time to be a problem. With today's litigous society, I am only saying what method I use, not telling you to use it. I have had very good luck with a good two part epoxy and fiberglass cloth if the hole is not too big. clean the surface by sanding, put down a layer of epoxy, cover with a layer of cloth, put on another layer of epoxy. Napa has a good tank repair kit that has epoxy and cloth for small areas. I would recommend also buying and putting in the internal tank coating that stops rust, seals leaks if not too big, and keeps the rust out of your fuel line.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks