• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hawker / Armasafe AGM Battery Info

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Hawker AGM Battery article

Cool, I've got 2 of these. I drove a Deuce with a bad Gen 300 miles with these 2 Batts, truck has been here 2 weeks and the batts still show 12.5 volts and still start the truck. I got them out of 1 of the 109's I bought that came back from Europe.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
12.5 V for Hawkers isnt that great... Read the TM in the TM section here.... ... 12.8 V is what you want.. And get them charged up!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Hawker AGM Battery article

FMJ said:
Cool, I've got 2 of these. I drove a Deuce with a bad Gen 300 miles with these 2 Batts, truck has been here 2 weeks and the batts still show 12.5 volts and still start the truck. I got them out of 1 of the 109's I bought that came back from Europe.
The deuce is not like the "modern" trucks, it doesn't need the batteries to run except for lights etc.....so if the batteries get you started, forget them.
From what I read, the new trucks need battery power to control the engine and even the transmission not to mention CTIS and diagnostics. (barfing smilie here)

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Hawker AGM Battery article

cranetruck said:
FMJ said:
The deuce is not like the "modern" trucks, it doesn't need the batteries to run except for lights etc.....so if the batteries get you started, forget them.
From what I read, the new trucks need battery power to control the engine and even the transmission not to mention CTIS and diagnostics. (barfing smilie here)
Lights were on...for about 3+ hours. I hope the Overlord, I mean Mangus, can get that (barfing smiley) one to work :)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Hawker AGM Battery article

Low beams probably only use 5 amps or so, your standard 6TL (6TN before 1987) battery has a reserve capacity of 200 minutes, which means that you can draw 25 amps for over 3 hours before the battery voltage drops to 10.5 volts.

From "Battery and stuff" :
"Reserve Capacity (RC) is a very important rating. This is the number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80 ° F will discharge 25 amps until the battery drops below 10.5 volts."

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Hawker AGM Battery article

Well was glad I had them with me because the gen in the truck was not putting out anything at all.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Can these batteries be purchased by us lowely subjects? I don't currently have battery problems, but that clock is always ticking away.

militarysteel

you can get great deals on high output used/NOS batteries from battery outlets, Advanced Auto, Autozone, 20 bucks per. 2 - 600CCA top terminals will throw a duce over no problem even in the dead of winter. no reason to spend big bucks, Unless you have the big bucks and don't care. :)
:beer:

Stalwart

They are awesome! I put 4 in my M42A1 Duster that the new owner provided for it, it cranks that 900 CID engine effortlessly, even without charging after storage. I want to fill my HEMTT battery box with 4 of them . . .

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

Just an update on charging Hawkers that I got direct from a Hawker rep. If you have a "dead" one, put it on a battery charger on the AGM setting, at the highest amp rate the charger does. It may take a few times charging it, but the battery should come back. He told me they recovered "dead" Hawkers that the Army told them were toast. It's worth a shot if you have some that seemingly wont take a charge. I have a buddy who had a "dead" set, and he was able to bring them back to 100% using this technique.

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Until I talked to the rep, I thought the same thing. He said it would take weeks at a low charge to get them back.. He said use an AGM setting at the highest amp setting, and it should bring them back. He said you cant overcharge them..
Keep us posted on your recovery.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Walked into my local battery store and low and behold they had 1 sitting on the shelf waiting for me. The guy there stated that they were getting them from Polk and they would be getting them off and on for the foreseeable future. They are getting them in to dispose of, however, they have never been used...

Are these batts really worth using?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks