• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

400 miles in an M813

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This past Sunday, I drove the M813A1 down to John Winslow's place in Halifax, NC. He picked up two M105A2s for me from Ft. Bragg and I went down with my brother to retrieve them. John loaded one into the bed with his 10,000 pound military forklift and I towed the other behind the truck. Man, that was a trip. My brother and I left Maryland at about 11:30 AM, got down to Winslow's at around 5 PM, stayed there until about 7:30 PM and finally got back home around 3 AM. That was a long trip...and a lot of bouncing around inside the cab. As expected, though, the truck drove fairly smoothly with a load. I already disconnected the one trailer from the truck, but I'll try to take pics of the trailer in the bed of the truck when I have a chance. I am headed out on a business trip until the weekend of June 10th.

Oh, yeah...by the way, I paid $2.03 for diesel at exit 8 on I95 in Emoria, VA. That was the cheapest that I found on the trip.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, Bruce! You're no stranger to that 400 mile hike. I stopped in there on my way home.
He's got tons of stuff. I did talk him into selling me a top for my truck. My next trip I'm going to get a tunnel box for the M447 expandible and try to talk him out of a deuce front axle that he had sitting in the back of a truck. It didn't have any axles or spindles. BTW, we stopped at the Flying J at the VA 104 and paid $1.97 for diesel.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Bruce,
It takes a while to get used to driving the old MV on the highways.
Your stats show a pretty slow average speed, did you drive backroads only?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Desert Rat,
My truck is an M813A1 with a Cummins NHC-250 engine.

Bjorn,

We hit some Memorial Day traffic. We also stopped for lunch and dinner. I had a guest with me in the truck and he wanted to stop to eat. I usually eat while I'm driving. The other issue was...we waited for a little over an hour for John to get home and we stayed at his place for a few hours. He got caught in traffic coming from VA Beach. When you take out the stops and the visit, I think we were actually driving for about 10 hours.

Bruce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks