• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with locking hub

CCATLETT1984

I had a set of wheel bearing go bad on my front axle (85 M1008) so i took the hub apart and ended up having to replace to spindle. I put the new bearings in and torqued them to spec, but after ass. the locking hub, it sticks out too far for the o-ring to seal (about a 1/16th of an inch).
Anyone know why this happened. Do i need to wrench on the inner bearing nut to force it in further? Everything else went together rather easy, but this is being a . Any help or advise would be much apperciated.

^

||

(Insert name of female dog here)

muddobber40

DID YOU reinstall the outter snap ring, the one that actually holds the the inner piece in so that when you tighten the screws down it tightens all the way up. One thing you do not want to do is crank down ont the outer spindle lock nut( torque to 85 ft lbs i bleieve). It really has nothing to do with the lock out sitting flush. If installed correctly the nut will not stick out past the end of the spindle.

If you have both (one on axle shaft and one close to outer edge of hub) snap rings in place, and it is not mounting flush, try rotating it. There should be 3 taps on the outer part that fit in 3 slots on the inner part. Make sure these are lining up good, not broken off etc.

Also, when you reistalled the lock nuts and washer. Did you make sure you lined the pin on the inner nut up with a whole in the washer? If for some reason the nut is sticking out past the end of the spindle this could be why, but really there should be several threads still showing even if they werent lined up

Hope this helps

muddobber40

hmmm....you didn't happen to get a spindle off a ford dana 60 did you? They are shorter. Also, I am trying figure out how get just the pages with the exploded view of the hub and lockouts. Kinda computer illiterate.

CCATLETT1984

I checked the dimensions of the new spindle with the old one before I put it together, and they match. Could the difference in the thread at the end be beacause the old spindle bearing combination was worn out?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks