• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL loadout damage

deuceman51

Have any of you guys experienced loadout damage on your trucks. I know they loaded my truck with a forklift, but I didn't know they would just scoop under it and lift it on the semi truck. I figured they would use chains to lift or something. Now my two cab steps are bent up and I can't open either the battery or toolbox doors. They are other scrapes and dents on the truck from it. The trucker said they even bent something on the front axle for me. I know they aren't responsible for damages, but I was just wondering if anyone else had any trouble. My trucks were loaded at Ft. Riley. The worst was a broke sway bar on the rear axle which caused the rear axle to twist, the leafsprings to drop off the axle, and now the whole axle is at such an angle I can't even tow it. I was happy to get my trucks, but not too thrilled about the nice damages they left on them.

jwaller

they would not be responsible if the truck driver or person acting on your behalf let them do it and didnt raise heck. Esp if the site has a policy of not helping loadouts. I know at federal surplus they loaded a bunch of cuccv's with forklifts and bent all 12 rear driveshafts.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
It happens , alot . I watched DRMO not GL unload a 5 ton cargo truck with winch, 800 series , with a fork lift that was half the trucks size off a drop deak flat bed.

On the other side I know GL moves trucks around with fork lifts also , fuel is taken out of tanks sometimes. It happens .

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
How is GL saying no help loading out supposed to eliminate their liability if they do end up helping. Either GL is responsible for damage or the employee is. I would think there would be more liability if they said they will help, but accept no liability then if they will not help but do so anyways. They would be breaking there own rules in that case.

FrankUSMC

Was the trailer the truck was put on a roll back? or a drop deck? Or was it 5 feet off the ground?
If it was a roll back, I had a truck damaged while being pushed to the roll back, I was there, I saw it, I ate the price of the damages, they were trying to help load me and get me on the road.
If the trailer was 5 feet off the ground, ok, other than picking the truck up with a fork lift, how are they going to get it up on the trailer? Maybe the driver should have called you and told you what was going on , and you could have gotten a roll back truck to pick up the truck and move it on to the trailer.
I am not flaming you or picking on you, but I have been there. I sold a guy 3 tracked weasels, that did not run, and the guy knew it, but he sent some poor trucker all the way to my place with a trailer that was 5 feet off the ground. I had no way of loading the guy, and this poor trucker is almost in tears because of the fuel he wasted coming to my place for no load. I felt bad for him, and I was very angry at the guy who sent him because he knew I could not load him.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

jasonjc

This is why I use a wreker service to pick up my trucks , they know what they are doing. The times that I've picked up trailer my self they (GL x1 Army NG x2) have always done a good job of loading them for me with fork lifts.

dragonman

:( Yes I just got a m35 from Ft Riley had a trucker pick it up with a Ford 350 and 40ft flatbed with ramps I thought they would use a chain on the front of the M35 and drive along the trailer to pull it up on or push it up on from the rear.
When he got here I didnt see any scratches on the rear bumperets so I thought they pulled it on. I was helping him unchain it and I noticed the drivers step was bent and the battery box. They loaded it with a forklift from the side.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: damage

Even if you go to get it yourself, sometimes hey have been moved via forklift way before you won the truck......

Loading trucks with forklifts

The driver should tell them how he would like to have it loaded. It was my understanding that they are not suppose to help. That was for liability reasons. Some locations feel they are doing you a favor getting it on your trailer at any expense. Back in the DRMO days we used to have them take 3 forklifts (one perpendicular to each front tire, and one in the rear) or 4 forklifts (each perpendicular to each tire). All lifted at the same time and driver backed under truck. Never had a problem and never damaged anything.

When bidding, you should be planning on having a lowbed or Landoll type trailer with winch to go get it and not depend on GL for anything except pointing the truck out. The extra bucks you spend will be offset by not requiring the driver to wait (hourly meter running) for GSA to do you a favor and damage your new toy.

I have been using a ex-military driver that has his own Landoll trailer and I send him by himself with good results. I don't have to take time from work (money made is used to pay driver) and when I get home the toy is there waiting.

PaulbusMax

I picked up the air conditioner i won last week at OK City. The thing appears to be unused, but does have a few minor handling scuffs on the exterior. It was tightly wrapped in plastic as it was in the photos, and i observed no damage. Got it home and unwrapped it to find someone drove a forklift through the condenser grille and into the condenser. It appears the condenser coil was not ruptured but i need to examine further. I share blame in not unwrapping it at the facility, but man it burns me that folks do this kind of stuff. As a one time forklift operator, i knew if i had run into something and damaged it. Just have to whine about it here.:deadhorse:

Attachments

Last edited:

AMX

And this is why it is often cheaper to buy from an individual (not a flipper). The M105 I sold had damage from the forklift, underneath, brakes and side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks