• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unplanned 450 mile deuce trip

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, something terrible happened with my Dodge 2500 diesel, not sure what it is yet, but it ain't good. Dad (herc69) and I drove up to VA on Thursday so I could pack up more stuff (moving from VA to SC) Truck ran great on the way there, then started to buck and shake really bad and stall. Barely got it up the street to the dealer (my grandchildren will be paying that bill, I'm sure)

Pretty sure it is the in tank pump, but didn't have the time or all my tools to do anything about it. I HAD to be back to work on Monday, I'm still on my 90 day probationary period, and I love this job.

So...

I had the deuce up there ready to tow the M146 trailer I got to move with down here to SC. The trailer wasn't ready, brake issues. So we just drove the deuce down today. Left at 9, got here at 5:30. So not too bad, stopped three times for fuel (didn't have too, just did)

I've got some pics, give me a chance to get them off the camera. Nothing special really.

Anyone got any leads on M146 trailer brake parts? Do they use the same wheel cylinder as the deuce? Thanks.

Capt.Marion

Glad you made it all right. At least you have a truck you can count on, or fix on your own (for the most part) if it ain't working right.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2004. It was the transfer pump, apparently 2003-2004 dodge diesels had a fault prone transfer pump mounted on the fuel filter housing. 2005 and up had a new almost flawless intank pump. The dealer is installing the new pump with an adapter. Too bad its not a warrenty issue. $900 to get it fixed. Plus, I have to get it down to SC, and drive my deuce back up to VA to get my M146 with my house in it. My Dad can't ride in the deuce 8 hours again, he has new hips.

Anyone got a tractor coming south in the next couple of weeks?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Adam:
The dolly brakes work if you have the trailer towing it and take it easy that should help a lot. I know the problems of trying to stop a trailer with just truck and dolly brakes but if you drive carefully it should not be a problem. I know that dolly is up to the task just a thought about getting it done with what you have. Sorry to hear about your Dodge I know my 6.5 TD is finally out of warranty so I bought a spare control box because they tend to go through them about every 40,000 miles or so. Please be careful doing all that driving and tell your dad hi and to take care of the new hips.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks