• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why no more trucks at WPAFB??

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up my two M105s yesterday afternoon and Dave told me that they would no longer be selling trucks out of WPAFB. He said they would all be going to Michigan if any were turned in locally.

I finally get to the point where I can get one and now I can't get one locally.

Any ideas as to why?

steve

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is my thought but based only on what I see. GL has had to put more people in the titling dept to catch up on SF97s so they pull their extra folks from sites so they no longer have to hire more. I'd bet the trucks get shipped on the gov'ts dime. Also to consider, just because WPAFBs trucks will go to MI doesn't mean DSCC won't have trucks and thats only around 60 miles east.

kipman

Columbus GL has more trucks in their yard than I have seen anywhere, but you may want to preview because some are not so nice.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard to tell, "why." That yard is small. Maybe a logistical problem, who knows.

*********************************EDIT***********************************

Sorry! Missed the category. Didn't mean to jump in on post meant for GL Rep! Attention to detail!!!

Armada

Funny, up until a couple years ago Michigan used to have plenty of trucks at Selfridge. I was told GL was consolidating and that everything except cameras, copiers and computer 'stuff' would be going to WP. And it did. I wonder why the switch back to MI? Sorry Ohio guys, but glad it's coming back to us... :twisted: :twisted:
I was just there last week and there is nothing on the lot as of yet.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, this section is for asking GL questions. Please do not clutter the thread with other "stuff"

We'll see what GL has to say about this.

USMilitarySurplus

In regards to Wright-Patt, I have been informed that the DRMS needs all rolling stock to be moved out of the receiving area within 10 days. In the short term, the vehicles are being moved to our scrap yard. If we get inundated with vehicles, we will have to ship them elsewhere, to Selfridge for example.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Robyn.

I was kind of bummed out about it since I wanted to get on there.

steve

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
USMilitarySurplus said:
In regards to Wright-Patt, I have been informed that the DRMS needs all rolling stock to be moved out of the receiving area within 10 days. In the short term, the vehicles are being moved to our scrap yard. If we get inundated with vehicles, we will have to ship them elsewhere, to Selfridge for example.
Is this a permanent, final decision? Or, just a temporary thing when things get crowded?

Does Wright-Patt have a continuing future with military vehicles?

Thanks!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did notice that there is another truck up for auction at WPAFB and I could swear that it was one that was up for sale in January.

Maybe it's the "last" one.

Thanks Robyn

steve

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so I go out to WPAFB today and all the trucks and trailers out there were being loaded onto OTR trucks for shipment out of there.

My Brother and I watched two trucks loaded with a 900 series tractor and an M105 each and sent on their way. They were even leaving the 900 trucks running for the ride to their new homes.

Andrew said a lot number that was the last lot number being sold at WPAFB but he said anything with wheels is being shipped away. There were 6 OTR flatbed trucks there while we were there and Andrew was on the phone to the dispatcher (sounded like) and it seemed like a lot more trucks were on the way.

Before anyone asks I know why no more wheeled anything is being sold there, too many HMMWVs are being sent to GL's lot in Dayton. When I say a lot I mean I saw about 40 of them sitting there and he has more coming in. We got to look at all of them and I can talk about them since we all know they are not coming out to us.

Sad day but it isn't the first time they have done this to WPAFB, hence me using the old thread from 4 years ago.

:)

jw4x4

I was told how fortunate I was to be getting one of the last vehicles from WPAFB. I am hopfully picking up my M932A1 in the morning.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suppose I should be (humbly, selfishly) glad that I got my truck there when I did. Only 10 miles or so away. My first truck came from Colchester, VT, which was an 800 mile drive!

The tides of GL ebb and flo. The truth might change as soon as tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks