• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting with flat enamel paint ? ?

jason@snakeriver

I get about the same result with when useing a flat khaki paint (Gillespie) or a flat white now in doing my T-15 weasel. The paint comes out rather porous, ( as in, not being able to wipe off a grease stain, ect). vs painting with a semi, or gloss paint.
Is there a hardner or other additive that I could use to make the paint more durable. Tom @ Snake River

halftrack

The century old dilemma. Paint with flat paint for authenticity and deal with what the military delt with (oil and grease stains) or use a semi gloss for easy cleanining. Flat is will always be somewhat porous. I would rather the flat with it's problems then having a semi-gloss wessel. Adding a hardner will just make the paint more likely to chip causing other problems with corrosion.

littlebob

Jason,
It can also be made flatter and more porous if sprayed on too dry.Is your spray equipment adjusted properly with correct pressure ETC?
littllebob

jason@snakeriver

Little Bob,
I agree, shooting too dry is always something to watch for. Of course trying to cover that much surface area and all the darn knoocks and crannys make it hard to get every square inch just right. Of course with an enamel you can, towards the end, thin down the paint and throw a wet coat onto finish. Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks